We are considering converting our basement into a studio apartment. How do we find out if this is legal?

Asked by Jill & Todd Kosiba, Uxbridge, MA Wed Aug 20, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sj209, Both Buyer And Seller, California
Wed Aug 20, 2008
In addition to the other excellent answers, check the zoning. The property may need to be zoned multi-family if you plan to have tenants in the new apartment.
1 vote
Michael Lefe…, Agent, Westborough, MA
Wed Aug 20, 2008
Scott is right. Contact the Building Department in Uxbridge, MA.

Here's the site:
1 vote
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Wed Aug 20, 2008
You'd have to consult your local building department and look at building codes & requirements
Web Reference:  http://www.MedfordHouse.com
1 vote
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Mon Aug 25, 2008
Hello Jill and Todd- I'm a Mass. licensed builder, and also a RE investor. I've been through this question many times.
Other than officially callling it an apartment, if the town doesn't allow it - via the zoning ordinance- there may be other options, like an in-law apartment or an "au-pair" suite.
Typical Mass. state building code is that the finished ceiling height must be at least 7'0, for a finished basement area. If you don't have that (after sheetrock and a finished floor), I'd give up. There are other building requirements, and it would be smart, and free, for you to have a local general contractor do a walk-thru of your house and basement and give you a written quote of what you want to do. He will know if its feasible after a walk thru, etc. And then you can see roughly how much it will cost anyways to do.
That's my 2 cents. If you need anything else, please feel free to contact me directly.
Good Luck,

Ken L.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Remodel & Renovate in Uxbridge Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more