Want to refinance home with renovations done without permits.

Asked by Home Owner, Massachusetts Thu Dec 13, 2012

I am looking to refinance my home. I recently renovated my kitchen without a permit. Would an appraiser ask if a permit was pulled or look into it to make sure that permits were pulled? Would the town find out that permits weren't pulled and then give me a fine and make everything up to code?

When I purchased my home, part of the basement was finished and I don't think any permits were pulled because the town's website show that my home have 1 bathroom, but I actually have 2 (one in the basement) and that didn't seem to be an issue when my home was appraised.

I don't want to get in trouble with the town and have to rip everything out to show them that the work was done properly.

Answers

2
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Dec 13, 2012
In my experience; Inspectors look for obvious things, plugs and switches not working, doors that won't close, sunporches converted to bedrooms, garage conversions, poor workmanship, etc.
An updated kitchen or bathroom does not usually get noticed.
"don't ask-don't tell" is probably the way to go.
The town probably won't have a way of knowing.
The way the towns find out about remodeling w/o permit, is that a Dumpster and a Trailer is parked out front for three weeks.

Don't be so paranoid; BIG BROTHER has better things to watch over.
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Thu Dec 13, 2012
older renovations have statue of limitations, I believe its 7 years, you may want to confirm that.

As to the kitchen the appraiser should check with the town's building dept, not all do. Baths in basements are included in value, but not bath count, they are added in the basment rooms section of the new 1004 uad reports.

Most towns don't make you rip things out, they may make you pull a permit and confirm that things were done to code.