Turn a 1/2 bath into a full...worth it or not?

Asked by Amc236, Takoma Park, MD Mon Jun 21, 2010

We have a 3 level townhouse, with a 1/2 bath in our basement that we are considering adding a shower stall to. The basement is currently not finished, but we have plans to finish it out completely and use as a family room (it is walk-out). Just wondering if adding the shower is worth it or not to be able to say we have 2 full baths? (other bath is on top floor with bedrooms)

Answers

4
Sarah Toppins, Agent, Bethesda, MD
Sun Jun 27, 2010
If you only have one full bath, I would say it's a definite "yes". Most of my buyers begin only looking at houses that have more than one full bath. But I echo my colleagues in saying that most improvements that you're considering in this market should be ones that you could use.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Jun 21, 2010
It sounds like you are headed in the right direction.....BUT as others have said, the best gauge in making this decision should initially be based upon your personal needs. Will this improve things for you? From where we stand, it appear this would not only improve the quality of your life but enhance your investment as well......

Best wishes with your final decision!

Michelle Buc…, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Jun 21, 2010
Hi, Once the basement is finished will the family room be used as an occasional guest bedroom? If the answer is yes, it might be worth the extra money to make the 1/2 bath into a full bathroom. This way, your guests will have their own bath and you will still have your bath and privacy upstairs.

Michelle Buckman
Licensed in DC,MD,VA
W.C. & A.N. Miller (A Long & Foster Co.)
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Jun 21, 2010
Amc, overall, I advise people to make changes THEY want - to enhance their living.

Do you need a 2nd full bath, or would you only be doing this for future resale?
Do the other townhomes in your community have 2 bathrooms, or do most of them have only 1.5 baths?

While creating a 2nd full bath is an enhancement - it will still be a basement bathroom, and not have the same value as , say, adding a master bathroom.

You could always check with a local agent, and see what the comparable sales have been.....what, if any, differences there are in sales of 1.5 bath homes, versus 2 full baths. Then...you can determine if the added cost is worthwhile - depending on your needs.

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties