Standard size refrigerator and tiny stove, or smaller fridge and larger stove?

Asked by Bart Szyszka, Maplewood, NJ Fri Mar 23, 2012

Hi, I'm looking at an apartment that has a small kitchen. The refrigerator is 28" wide and the stove is a tiny 20" wide. I'm considering getting one of those taller narrow fridges, one that's 24" wide, to increase the size of the stove to 24" (and preserve counter space).

Would it be more attractive to future buyers to see at least one of those appliances be standard-sized? Or would it help if the stove was a little nicer?

Answers

12
lukechase432’s answer
lukechase432, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Mar 27, 2013
I think your decision for taking small stove is quite good. It may add good looks to your kitchen areas. All moms are just finding it easy to carry it anywhere when they want it .Getting a big fridge can become a cool summer decision.

http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-special-offers-forum/424…
Scott Miller, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Sat Mar 2, 2013
Hi Bart.

Europe has been doing cooler things than we do here in the US for the past 50 years. The beat us hands down in design, layout, quality, and more for both kitchens and bathrooms. Their fixtures are amazing.

I agree with Tami below, go for the look and you'll have happy buyers in the future.

GOOD LUCK.

Scott Miller
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Feb 26, 2013
We recently stayed in a small appartment in Paris with a kitchen the size of a closet and it was completely equipped. counters, dishwashed, washer/dryer, refrigerator, and stove. Making a small kitchen space functional can be done but it may require some creativity and sacrafice.

It's suprising to see what is available when you look outside the normal vendor sources.
Rolando Fana, Agent, New York, NY
Tue Feb 26, 2013
I suggest adding both of them as big as you can.
Tami Earnest, Agent, new york, NY
Mon Dec 17, 2012
If both appliances are "nice" (aka: stainless steel), they will likely look passed the sizes. a 20" stove is extremely small and 24" refrigerators are getting nicer, more popular and more efficient. Check out this Liebherr Refrigerator which comes in a 24" : http://www.liebherr.us/HGH/en-GB/products_us-hg.wfw/id-58240…
Carmen Brode…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Apr 7, 2012
I would suggest adding the larger refrigerator.
Irina Karan, Agent, Aventura, FL
Sun Mar 25, 2012
Hello Bart,

I agree with Janet.
In addition to the smaller stove, is there any way to install a microwave (which many buyers would like)? Many new kitchens separate the cook top and the oven also. Sometimes, kitchen cabinet space could be increased by installing cabinets attached to the ceiling (often above the breakfast bar).
Without seeing your kitchen, it's hard to think of what else could be done...Although you could add a subzero as a beverage fridge in addition to a narrow one...I love it that you think about all this right now!

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Mar 23, 2012
Hi, Bart.
I love your question. I have never heard this asked before and it is such a practical question and I love that you are already thinking about what will be best for buyers later even though you are just buying now.
In my experience, if you have to choose between a larger refrigerator and a smaller stove vs. a smaller refrigerator and a larger stove, go with the larger refrigerator. Many New Yorkers don't cook a lot. I once brought a buyer to an apt. where there were sweaters stacked neatly in rainbow order in the oven. People who don't cook a lot still need a place for their leftover take-out, their staples, beverages, etc. Plus if they like to entertain, they may want to store things for entertaining in there. Beer and soda bottles take up a lot of room! A smaller stove can be perfectly useful, but a small refrigerator is impractical.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
Mitchell Hall, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Mar 23, 2012
Hi Bart,

I currently have a studio apartment listed for rent. The kitchen is small. The owner actually put two small Miele refrigerators under the counter/side by side. You can't seen the two refrigerators in the photo because they are opposite the sink and dishwasher. The photo shows the other side of kitchen but you can see from the counters where they are. The kitchen has great counter space on both sides.

I think having more refrigerator space is more practical. You can still cook with a small stove but you can't keep much food in the apartment with a small only mini bar fridge.

http://www.corcoran.com/property/listing.aspx?ListingID=2293…

Mitchell Hall, Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
MHALL@corcoran.com
Robin Maffei, Agent, New York City, NY
Fri Mar 23, 2012
Larger fridge...hands down. You can always find alternate ways of cooking food..rice cooker, slow cooker, veg steamer and of course, the micro. I want both bigger in my kitchen but if I could choose...fridge.
Robin Maffei
Fenwick Keats Real Estate
917 613-3176
Web Reference:  http://www.fkrealestate.com
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Fri Mar 23, 2012
Hi, its really a matter of preference.. I love in an apt with a slim stove and normal fridge..I love having a bigger fridge to hold more food.

Chris
Diamond J.l.…, , New York, NY
Fri Mar 23, 2012
Hi Bart,

I would go with the latter, 24 inched each. This will allow your appliances to appear full-sized, which will benefit you in the future, as most buyer prefer a nice and semi- standard kichen.

Cheers,
Diamond J L Gallow
347.541.5504.

Please do contact me if you have any other questions.