Should I renovate my pool or just fill it in if we want to sell in 5 years?

Asked by Leigh M., 90066 Fri Apr 16, 2010

Our pool and related hardscaping needs about $25K in upgrades. Does having a renovated pool in our area add or detract from the value of the house? Is it worse to fill it in (partial demo) so that would prohibit future additions on top of the old filled in pool (lot is shallow 30 feet from house to back wall of property - total lot size is 5800). We hope to sell in 5 years.

Answers

10
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Thu Apr 22, 2010
Hi Karen,
In my opinion, landscaping and hardscaping, are areas that are often overlooked by homeowners but vital to the way your property is perceived by buyers. In Southern California (as you know) we live outdoors.

If you can do the work, I would recommend that you do. You will have the benefit of enjoying the beauty of your home for the next five years, and you will likely be able to sell for more, then someone who's yard needs major work.
Web Reference:  http://www.doreneslavitz.com
I think this is the best answer, personally. If you stall have five more years to enjoy your home, you can spread out the expense of the pool renovation. It's worth the repair even if you're only one living in the house. And when you go to sell your home, you'll have a major selling point right in your backyard. | http://www.sundollarpools.com.au
Flag Wed Feb 4, 2015
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Thu Oct 14, 2010
In Florida an in-ground pool does add to the resale value of your home, but don't expect to get 100% return on your investment. On average an in-ground pool can increase the value of a residential property from 6 to 10 percent. An in-ground pool in Florida can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $40,000 depending on size, whether it is screened in, and the extra amenities. I am not sure what the value of a pool is to a home in your area. You can check with a local Realtor or even a pool company.

Some buyers prefer not to have a pool because of the added expense, maintenance, and safety hazards with children. Pools can consume valuable yard space because in Florida most of the properties are pretty small. Others wouldn't have it any other way. A pool not only adds hours of enjoyment but also can add to the aesthetics of a home if it is set in an attractive setting. On those hot summer days it can also be very inviting and refreshing. It provides a place to unwind and relax as well as a form of exercise.

Another thing to consider is the neighborhood. The value of that pool may depend on what other homes are selling for in the area and whether they have a pool or not. If not very many neighbors have pools, then your value will not increase significantly. Choosing to purchase a home with a pool or whether to add a pool to your home is largely based on individual preference.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Sandals Realty, Punta Gorda, FL - tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Emelia Sanch…, , Ontario, CA
Mon Apr 19, 2010
Hello Karen,

25K is a lot. We just had our pool redone, demo, tile, coping and pebble plaster, added a water feature and a bench for less than half of that. They did a fabulous job in less than a week. If you want their number go ahead and call me.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Apr 17, 2010
WOW you need be extremely careful NOT like you go over there dump dirt into the pool, EXPENSE of the dirt fill in a pool, labor involved.

Landscaping many pool areas in Texas have just gorgeous flagstone around the pool and extend the patio and sides of pool increase the pool space use it for entertaining area.

Since many families DON'T have disposable income to travel any longer are adding pools as a feature, and the back yard as an escape.

Demo a pool and "dump dirt in it" all the plumbing lines needs to be shut off, secured, which IF not done correctly can leak cause foundation issues under the home . When you fill in pool entire area needs be secured keep it becoming a "sink hole" dirt will keep settling then you need continue fill it in.

I could continue however provide you an idea.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Brian McMurr…, Agent, Tawas City, MI
Sat Apr 17, 2010
I think Mack is right on target. Pools are a real variable. Some buyers love them. Others want nothing to do with them. Do what works out best for you over the next 5 yrs.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Apr 16, 2010
How much do you want to use the pool over the next five years?

Some things in a home aren't exactly investments, they're consumables. A kitchen remodel today does increase the value of the home (not by as much as it cost, usually), but in time, that "new kitchen" glow fades and we're back to having a somewhat dated kitchen.

If you want to use the pool, will you get $5000 a year's worth of enjoyment from the renovation and hardscape? Suppose you got $3000, and the improvements only helped the property gain $10K in value (today). And, how will the improvements look in five years?

I think this is a personal and emotional decision, not a spreadsheet and "rational" one.

lewisremingt…, Home Owner, Rochester, NY
Tue Mar 31, 2015
I would definitely recommend having the upgrades done. Pool renovation will greatly increase your home's value, so if you are planning to sell then you will want to take care of that. Filling in the pool wouldn't be the worst thing to do, but I don't think it would add as much appeal.
http://goldmedalpools.com/pool-renovation/overview/
Arpad Racz, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri Feb 27, 2015
Hi Leigh,

A local agent or appraiser may be able to let you know what homes go for in the neighborhood with and without pools historically.

Arpad
Caleb Hart, Renter, Orem, UT
Fri Feb 27, 2015
It depends on the market that you live in. I know that in hot places like Arizona, pools are really attractive to home buyers. If you live in a cold place, you'll obviously not want it as much. I would love to get a pool behind my house though. http://www.pooldoctorfla.com/repair/
Irynadz, , San Diego County, CA
Thu Oct 14, 2010
Fill it in. Buyers are aware of associated cost with an up-keep. The amount or $$$ you put in will most likely not return. It is better to update bathrooms and kitchen.