Remodel & Renovate in 94041>Question Details

Japaek, Other/Just Looking in 94041

Requirements for building a basement in Mountain View

Asked by Japaek, 94041 Tue Jul 14, 2009

We are thinking of building a basement in Mountain View. If the basement is to be living space, what requirements do we have to follow in terms of exit access? Can we just put in a door which leads from the outside to the basement or do all the basement windows also need to have exits?

Also, is there tax implications for a living space, vs just storage?

Answers

2
I too would call the City Of Mountain View Building Department, or check out their website.
Most basements we have built had a full set of concrete stairs on one side of the basement, and then a "light well" with a crawl ladder on the other side.

I am not sure about the tax implications though.

Let me know if you need any more info from a General Contractors point of view.
Hi Japaek, you should talk with the permit department to get specific answers to this question regarding code requirements.

If my memory serves me correctly, from a property tax perspective, basements are not considered living space; however, the city may require certain features if they are designed as living space.

If you are looking for a highly skilled basement contractor to speak with concerning your proposed project shoot me an email offline. He specializes in building basements under existing homes and does new basement construction as well (I personally helped him build a 3,000sf basement in Woodside)

Best, Steve