New Windows or Quality Storms? Is it worth the investment for the storm windows?

Asked by Roxana Mccloskey, Philadelphia, PA Tue Oct 7, 2008

We have older single pane windows on our house. Beautiful big floor to ceiling windows with the grids onthem. problem - they make the house freezing!! We have had some quotes for updating to new energy efficient windows. it's a lot of money as they are custom sizes, and also it would totally change the look of the house. So we are second guessing the changing of windows. Is it worth the investment to get good quality storm windows for eachwindow to help with tthe energy efficiency. or should we just sell our souls and get the new windows.

Answers

5
Gary Swank, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Mon Feb 23, 2015
You must consider the cost versus the return on investment. Most buyers look for
energy efficiency in any home they tour. New windows imply value to a buyer. Old
windows appear as yet another cost of ownership that a buyer may not want to take on.
In my opinion, your best option is to take your time and replace the windows as you can.
Storm windows are very outdated and you probably won't recoup your investment.
Mark Leach, Home Buyer, Pine Bluff, AR
Thu Feb 5, 2015
I think that you are the only one who can answer that. If you are sick of being frozen and would rather spend a fortune and sacrifice the classic look of your home then be cold, then go for it. If the look means a lot to you and you don't want to drop all of that cash, I think the storm windows would be a great alternative. http://www.2seal.com
Anthony Kimb…, , 37890
Wed Oct 8, 2008
We are about to replace the windows in our house with new windows. Check and make sure what the best windows are and who has the best work with the best prices. When I built my house in 82, we went with a cheaper double pane windows. Windows are one of the more important parts of a house if reselling, but definately from a living there view. Higher energy costs make the windows pretty much pay for themselves in savings.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Oct 8, 2008
New windows all the way. the storms will not provide the insulating value to be worth the expense. you should look for a more custom window to match your currrent look. New windows will add value and save a fortune in your heating costs giving even more value to your home. hope this helps
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Howard Urbine, Agent, West Grove, PA
Wed Oct 8, 2008
I have been in your situation twice. Both times we went with new windows and never regretted it. Even good storm windows will not approach the efficiency of new windows and then there are all the other benefits. On my own home, it took 4 years to find the right window for us. We live in a log home with all wood inside too. We insisted on all vinyl and that they match well. We were the first to even order them that way, all brown vinyl, wood grain inside, triple pane, grids inside the glass with wood grain on the inside of the grid and brown on the outside, krypton gas, low e, lifetime warranty, the whole nine yards. It made an immediate change in heating and cooling, not to mention that they are easy to clean, never need paint, cannot rot, open and shut easily, they all have nice screens and while it changed the look of the house, it was minimal and even an improvement. That was a few years ago and the window options have expanded greatly so finding just the right ones is easier now. Other than swallowing the price, I doubt you will regret it. The manufacturer we used was Great Lakes Windows.