Sally, Home Seller in Middletown, PA

May sell in 1-3 years. Small, full bath has harvest yellow sink/toilet/tub.ReplaceResurface?I like the color with light green paint but buyers may not

Asked by Sally, Middletown, PA Tue Nov 29, 2011

The townhouse also has a half bath that's been remodeled. Am also wondering if the front door (original, with a new storm door) should be replaced. Also the carpet in the living room and dining room could use replacing. Are these advisable or not? Thank you.

Answers

4
Those are outdated colors. Perhaps you should start with the carpet and door, which should be easier to replace. Then paint the bathroom a white or neutral color.
Resurfacing is never the answer. And since it usually doesnt save much money, replace instead. The bath will definitely coming out looking more attractive and increase your home's value.
Hi Sally, I would recommend that you replace or resurface (whichever your budget will allow) the fixtures in the bath that have outdated colors. Potential home buyers may view that as a showstopper in terms of cost to update. Select a neutral finish and you'll be safe. Keep the walls a neutral shade (not white, but something light and easy on the eyes), and add in some colorful accents that can easily be changed, such as area rugs, towels, etc. This will make the bath look larger and more inviting.

If your budget can handle replacing the carpet in the living/dining areas I would do that. Again, select a neutral color and type of carpet that has general overall appeal.

The front door of a home presents the very first image of the residence, so if yours is worn and tired it might be a good decision to replace it now, before you decide to sell your home.

Visit my home decorating website below for many more ideas for your home, both interior and exterior.

Thanks.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Things like that Bath, that make you turn your head when you are inspecting the house, are good items to focus on.
Those who lived through the 70's, know about Avocado and Pink Bathrooms, Orange and purple sofas, and giant brass mobiles and clocks on the wall.
Particularly, if you are going to live there for a while; to enjoy the fruits of your labor, do it.
I understand that WHITE is the IN color for porcelain.

Good luck and may God bless