Live in a cul-de-sac, no neighbor to the west except a sidewalk. How far may we make an addition to the sidewalk. Want to add a garage.

Asked by Redoing, Phoenix, AZ Sun Mar 27, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Greg Paielli, Other Pro, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Mar 28, 2011
Hello- You will need to check with the City Building Inspection and Safety Department as to the codes in your area regarding setbacks. Thanks
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Mon Mar 28, 2011
You would need to contact the city of permit and determine what you can or can't do

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Sean Heideman, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Mar 28, 2011
First of all, you will need to know where your property line starts and end. Therefore, you should contact surveyor to determine exactly how far you can build the garage. You subdivision might already have the survey online and I can help you find this survey if you contact me with your address. Second, before you start building the garage you will want to get a permit. If you build it without a permit, then when you want to resale your property it might or might not add additional value to your home. Please feel free to contact me if you want me to help you find your subdivisions survey map online.

Sean Heideman, Realtor
Office: 480-213-5251
0 votes
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Mon Mar 28, 2011
Hello Redoing,
You need to check with the Planning and Zoning dept. in Phoenix to determine what the setback allowances are for your lot size and neighborhood to determine how far you can build to the borders of your property. And, as others have mentioned, if you have a Home Owners Association you will also have to check with them to determine if any rules and regulations are in place about adding a garage as well as setbacks.
Hope this is helpful.
Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
0 votes
Marion Thack…, Agent, Winter Park, FL
Mon Mar 28, 2011
You will need a building permit from your city/county and if a HOA is involved you probably will need their permission also.
0 votes
Doug McVinua, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Mon Mar 28, 2011
Who are the bodies that have jurisdiction over your property. Generally that would be the City/Town and also the Home owners association if you are in one.

Each of the above entities may require permission and or permits to add on. The value of the addition is also higher if you do it correctly with approvals and permits.

Arizona Homes for Sale by a Guy from Iowa
Web Reference:
0 votes
Loren Hoboy, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Sun Mar 27, 2011
You will need a building permit from your City and if you live in an HOA, you will first need to get their blessing.
0 votes
Bob Dickinson, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Mar 27, 2011
If you do not live in a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association, you should check with the city of Phoenix for clarification.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more