Is permit req. to add mud room to back door. Is it a good idea to add heat. House has radiator(water, not steam). Inc. value? Raise taxes a lot?

Asked by Leslie, 06460 Thu Oct 14, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Natalia Baki…, , Milford, CT
Wed Mar 5, 2014
Is always a good idea to get a permit. If you don't and for some reason in the future you want to sell your house it can be a problem.
0 votes
Ken D'Ademo, Agent, Milford, CT
Fri Oct 15, 2010
The answer to your question is yes. Milford requires a building permit for just about anything you do. You can find a lot of information on the city website. Depending on the size of the mud room will determine the tax increase, and if it is heated it will be considered living space which could also increase the tax amount. However, as far as value, in today's market, it will not add much value to the property if at all. Kitchens and bathrooms are #1 value increasers.
The new tax amount will be determined by the tax assessors office. I suggest talking to them after you do your homework with P&Z regarding set backs etc. to see if you can even do what you are planning. Good Luck!!
0 votes
Stephanie Dr…, , Pequannock, NJ
Thu Oct 14, 2010

I recommend that you check with your town hall about the permit situation. It is always a good idea to make sure you have a permit if one is required. If a permit is required and you don't get one, it could hurt later on down the road (if the house gets reassessed, you go to sell, etc). When you check about the permit you can find out about what would lead to an increase in taxes. If adding the room is going to add to your taxes I think you should add heat. If adding heat is what will cause the room to be taxed, that is something that you will have to decide if you are willing to do.

Stephanie Drag
Realty Executives, Pequannock
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more