Is it possible to get a permit to convert a garage to a habitable space in Poway?

Asked by Sophie, Camp Pendleton, CA Tue Oct 8, 2013

A lot of properties in Poway have garage conversions, but these seem all to be unpermitted. I want to convert a garage into a liveable space, but I want to get permits. Is that possible, or does Poway never approve garage conversions?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Charles Schr…, Agent, Floral Park, NY
Mon Jun 16, 2014
There is only one way to find out. Go to your local building department and see if they will allow it. If so, they will issue you what's called a certificate of occupancy which shows that you've made a change to the property which was legally authorized. Without that document, if you do make the change without getting authorization from them, you could have trouble selling down the line.
1 vote
Chad Basinger, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Jun 16, 2014
Hello Sophie,

It is great that you are trying to do the right thing here. Whether or not the city will allow this to happen is best answered by contacting the city of Poway. In the event the city does allow it, you will still want to consider how this will impact the value of your property, as well as the ultimate resale ability.

Best of luck,

Chad Basinger, REALTOR, CPA, CFP
Web Reference:
1 vote
David Rudd /…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Dec 15, 2013
Hi Sophie -

You are correct, a lot of home owners do this with out a permit from the city. This can cause significant issues, both at time of conversion, selling, and later down the road. I have seen the city (not Poway) require a conversion be converted back to a garage mid way in during a project.

City's appetite for garage conversions vary, I have seen permitted garage conversions in Poway, so it is worth contacting the city for guidance. Poway has a friendly staff and I am sure will be helpful with details.

Best of Luck,

David Rudd
Kindred Real Estate
1 vote
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Oct 8, 2013
Best bet is check with the city building or planning department. They will be able to tell you what you can and cannot do.
1 vote
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Dec 2, 2014
Right now San Diego County as a whole supports Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU's), granny flats, casitas, room additions and in some cases garage conversions. However, you really need to start with your local building, planning and zoning department. But be sure you also consult with your HOA as many developments, especially in Poway, have CC&R's that address parking in the streets or driveway for extended periods of time.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Remodel & Renovate in Poway Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more