Interior home renovation in Nassau County

Asked by An, Hicksville, NY Sat Apr 4, 2009

I purchased a house and I am planning to remove a wall between the dining room and kitchen, also I am considering closing the side entrance door leading to the kitchen from the driveway. Other than this it will be basic painting. Is a permit from the county required for such work? Also, is there any rules on if the contractor should be licensed?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Apr 6, 2009
You may want to contact the town of Oyster Bay and ask your question directly; and yes always use a licensed contractor, you may pay a little more but if problems arise you will have a fighting chance.

0 votes
Everett Perry, Agent, Fresh Meadows, NY
Sun Apr 5, 2009

I am licensed in NYC and Nassau.

Technically speaking you need a permit for any work done in or outside of the house. I would think that more than 80 percent of people do not pull permits for small jobs like yours.

The reason to use a licensed contractor is that if you have problems with a contractor you will have some type of recourse. if you use someone unlicensed and they dont do a good job or dont finish then you are out of luck. Generally speaking I would would be worth the risk if the unlicensed guy was significantly cheaper so even if they walked off the job you dont loose too much. I would also encourage you to buy materials and only pay and unlicensed person as they complete work, assuming you do this route.

Good Luck.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Remodel & Renovate in Hicksville Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more