Info on septic regulations in Wellfleet area...if you need a new one how much? Also what about wells?

Asked by Nancy L. Johnson, 44010 Tue Jul 21, 2009

Thickness of walls? Quality a water....quantity as well

Answers

6
Patricia Lem…, Agent, Wellfleet, MA
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Hi Nancy, I hope I'm not posting this twice but I live and sell real estate in Wellfleet and I just sold a home that needed both a septic and well. A 4 bedroom septic was going to cost my buyer around 8000 and the well was 3200. Also keep in mind for the septic you'll need a enginnered plan and that can vary from 1800-2500. You should have your septic inspected by a local certified inspector to determine if a septic is needed or not. Hope this helps, Patty
Kathleen Nag…, Agent, Wellfleet, MA
Wed Jul 22, 2009
Hi Nancy-
The most important criteria to consider is where your property is located. If it is near water that will definitely change the equation. How large your lot is, is also an important factor because of the distance that needs to be between your well and septic system. If you have an engineer come out, they can tell you whether you can have a regular title 5, which will usually run you under $10,000 to install or whether you may need an alternative system which can be more expensive to install and maintain. If paying for this out of pocket seems daunting, Barnstable County has a loan program just for new septic systems. They have access to millions of dollars and as long as your income is below $150,000 you are eligible for a 5% loan payable over 20 years. Don't hesitate if you have other questions. Even with living here in Wellfleet and being a Realtor who deals with these subjects all the time I know it sometimes gets confusing. The Health and Conservation agent, Hillary Greenburg and her assistant, Andrew Petty are also a great source of information. They are both located in the DPW building on West Main Street.
Mark Hansen, Agent, Osterville, MA
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Good Afternoon Nancy,

Previous posts are correct in that Wellfleet can be an environmentally sensitive area. Several things will determine the cost. The main source of cost is the ground water level. High Ground water areas generally require pump chambers or raised systems. Raised systems or any type of AI system (Alternative system) will start to run you outside of the normal $6500-$8500 range and into the tens of thousands depanding on the complexity, soils conditions (clay-bad drainage) or permitting costs. I have just finished a lengthy processs on a property in HarwichPort that was approximately 110' from the coastline, set on an 1800 sq/ft LOT! The approximate cost was 17,500.00 because of high engineering and sitework costs. Plan on 2-3 months of permitting if it falls within Conservation territory.
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Hello Nancy- This depends on many things, including how close you are to the shore and also to wetlands in general.
Many factors- but if you're looking for a ballpark-
Figure $10- 15K for the septic system- for a 3-4 bedroom
For the well- figure about $10K total. Assuming they don't have to dig down a tremendous amount. No way to tell really.
For wells, nobody will give you a guaranteed price, and they will not even guarantee that you will get adequate GPM, etc. Its all a crapshoot- but they can give you their professional advice.
You should contact the Town Offices and talk with the Board of Health. They will give you the regs and the setbacks for the town, etc.
Any other questions, please contact me if you'd like. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.
Joe Arnao, Agent, Sanwich, MA
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Nancy, if you are looking for engineers to work with let me know. There are a couple I have worked with that I would recommend.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Nancy Wellfleet is a very environmentally sensitive area. Your best source for this type of information will likely come from the Town of Wellfleet.

Pricing can vary depending on the scope of work required.

We're looking forward to being in the area(Eastham) next week for a family vacation.