In Atlanta, what the average cost of an addition to a house (ranch style, single-story home)?

Asked by ace, Atlanta, GA Wed Oct 29, 2008

I'm considering taking on a rehab in one of the downtown neighborhoods and while the house's current footprint is rather small, the lot is large. I've seen a figures ranging from $115 - $135/sq. ft.

Answers

3
James Dudley, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Ace,

You pegged it. I would budget about $125/Sq. ft.
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Wed Oct 29, 2008
Ace -

There are cost estimating sources out there (Marshall & Swift is popular for appraisers) but they can vary widely based upon all of the expected variables. Obviously the best thing to do is get a few estimates from contactors in the area having each work off the same spec sheet. Even then, you should budget for overages, unseen issues, delays....etc. Not knowing where in the city your looking, your sf price will vary but you're probably in the middle of the road with your range.
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Wed Oct 29, 2008
Ace,

That's pretty close! Your ranges will vary on finish levels as well as how skilled the labor is and how much you do yourself. It's an impossible question to answer, but that's a great estimate.