Remodel & Renovate in 33417>Question Details

Jan, Both Buyer and Seller in 33417

I want to buy a condo that will need remodeling, and I want to do the repairs myself. Is this legal??

Asked by Jan, 33417 Sun Aug 24, 2008

I want to take down the wall (not a bearing wall) and style the apartment

Answers

5
Jan,

Indeed it is legal for owners to do their own repairs..... BUT the repairs need to be done with a permit and done to meet the current building codes.

The "Eckler Team"
Hi Jan,

This does not seem to raise any red flags as far as I know. If you want to be on the 'very very safe side', I would first ask your HOA what is required of you to do this, whether or not you need a permit, etc. Since it's not a bearing wall, everything sounds like it's cosmetic and nothing more. But it's always wisest to check first and make sure you're within the rules. This is Florida, not Philly.

GOOD LUCK,

Scott Miller
Realty Associates
561-716-4060 c.
Hi Jan!
In addition to other answers given you might also want to check your condo docs and the rules and regulations of your condo.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 24, 2008
You can buy property As-Is and do repairs. However, moving walls might need permits. You would have to check with a contractor or zoning.
Herman Chang, Real Estate Pro in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Hi Jan:

There shouldn't be any problem with you doing that. If you are obtaining financing to purchase the condo and there are extensive repairs needed, the appraiser will make note of that. The bank making the loan to you will probably have many conditions with regards to repairs or they may simply not loan the money to you. But if you are talking about purely cosmetic repairs, I wouldn't see that as being an issue. Where you might have a problem is with your remodeling projects is when you go to sell and a buyer finds issues on their inspection report having to do with the repairs you've made yourself. If permits are required for the scope of work you are wanting to do, make sure they are pulled and are in accordance with your local laws.

Kathy Phillips
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
http://www.FloridaMoves.com/Kathryn.Phillips