Kida Develop…, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

I've been thinking of putting down a wood veneer floor ($1.75 sq. ft.) instead of wall to wall carpeting. Good idea?

Asked by Kida Development, Philadelphia, PA Tue Mar 26, 2013

I recently purchased a tiny (528 sq. ft.) investment property in an up and coming neighborhood which needs some work before I put it up for rent.

A good wood flooring is always s better idea!
Dmytro V. Bova
Main Line Investors Group
Property Management
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 26, 2013
I think it depends on the area, property, and demographic. It is possible to OVER-IMPROVE a property to the point where you are putting money in past the point of where you will see an additional return.

Based on the fact that it is "up and coming" and it is a small investment property, below is what some of my clients have done in similar situations. When I showed the property to potential tenants they all said "they love the wood floors".

If your floor is flat and level, there are peel and stick vinyl tiles that look like wood. The other upside of these is installation is very easy so you can save a lot on that cost. You can also peel up one or two tiles that is damaged in between tenants and seamlessly replace it. Saving money on the cost of tenant turnover. They said the flooring only cost them $0.68/sqft.
Most buyers these days are looking for wood floors, so I think putting down a good wood floor is a better option than carpet.
As a renter, searching for my own house - it depends on the room. Living room, family room, bedrooms I prefer carpet.
Actually I have a recommendation (especially for landlords). I have put down ceramic tile that looks like hardwood. Although it is a bit costlier and time consuming there is a benefit. First it is very durable and still has the look of a nice hardwood floor. You avoid scratches, pet stains and stains from spills. You can buy an extra box to replace the occasional broken tile. If they are installed correctly a broken tile is rare. It is a bit more time consuming and expensive but I think in the long run it is less of a headache.
Definitely real wood flooring would be the best choice. I've seen real bamboo flooring for $1.98/sqft, so there are some bargains out there if you shop around a bit. I agree with putting down some type of wood (or even veneer) flooring over using carpeting, the wood flooring can overall make a small space feel larger than carpeting would, and of course an area rug can always be added or taken away due to preference. Let us know if you have any staging questions!
Weichert Realtors Sales Agent
Thank you for your reply Rebecca. I've been looking, but I haven't seen real wood anywhere that is close to the price you quoted. You don't happen to remember where you saw the bamboo do you? Thank you again for response.
Kingsley @ Kida Development
Flag Thu Apr 4, 2013
I am not a fan of veneer flooring. I find many times the look and especially the feel can be "fake feeling". And many times I find durability of the installation to be lacking. I recommend going with a real wood floor. If you look around you can get a decent price, and your investment will pay off in the long run.