I recently found out that it was ilegal for my real estate agent to sell me and my husband a house without a deck. Can we go back on him in any way?

Asked by Becca, Hudson, IN Sun May 29, 2011

Answers

9
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Sun May 29, 2011
Hi Becca,

I'm curious. Why was it illegal for your Realtor to assist you in buying a home without a deck?

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Sun May 29, 2011
And why was that illegal? Please explain why, new construction? Isn't the Town really responsible to check for code violations?
Duane Wilder, , Fort Wayne, IN
Sat Feb 9, 2013
a town this small shouldn't have any kind of restrictions requiring a deck. The only likely issue is if there is some kind of dangerous drop off due to lack of porch/deck from the doorway. The deck would be in most cases an optional item not a requirement. In very restrictive neighborhoods it may be a requirement to have a deck but not likely in Hudson indiana. Your inspection should have addressed this lack of deck if there is an issue.
Dumfounded, Home Owner, Angola, IN
Tue May 8, 2012
Surprised at the number of agents responding to anything this crazy!
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Feb 9, 2012
Okay, Becca. You have us all intrigued. WHY was it illegal for your agent to sell you a house without a deck?
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Thu Feb 9, 2012
Interesting question and like most of the other answers I am curious has to why it was illegal for your agent to sell you the house without a deck? A deck is typically an "optional' item. Did you have an inspection? Was it pointed out during the inspection that there was an issue with the fact that there was no deck?
Steve Blum, Agent, Hamilton, IN
Thu Feb 9, 2012
This might be a case where you can not get a occupancy permit on a new contructionwithout a deck/steps if there is a drop off at an exterior door. But your agent should not be held responsible.
David Burnham, , Washington, DC
Sun May 29, 2011
I agree that it sounds odd to be illegal to sell a house without a deck, but if you feel there is an issue, I would contact the agent's managing broker as a first step. The broker will be in a better position to help resolve a dispute such as this.
Tony McMahon, Agent, WHITE PLAINS, MD
Sun May 29, 2011
A deck is usually an optional item, where are you getting information to the contrary?