I own a condo. Are assessments for things like a new roof tax deductible? How?

Asked by Comedy, 94117 Sat Mar 13, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


fmfrijoles, , 20037
Tue Apr 22, 2014
If it's an investment property from which you gain income, assessments are deductible.

If it is a primary residence and the roof/assessment is specific to your unit then the amount for the roof is applicable to apply to lower your capital gains when you sell your unit (Keep your receipts/payment stubs/invoices).

If the assessment is for a roof that is shared by your entire condo association that is much more complex and you will have to talk to your accountant to gauge what amount is applicable against your capital gains.
1 vote
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Sat Mar 13, 2010
This is no joking matter Mr or Ms. Comedy!

We are not accontants so don't take our advice till you check with a professional that is licensed to give advice to you on your situation.
If the condo is rented and the special assessment is for upkeep or improvements it is a business expense and can be amortized.
If the condo is your residence keep the receipts as it can possible add to the basis of any capital gain offset when you sell and realize the gain.
0 votes
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Mar 13, 2010
same caveat, not a CPA. answer is doubtful, but you should talk to an accountant to see if there's a way to structure things so you can get some benefit.
0 votes
Eric Castong…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Mar 13, 2010
You should contact your accountant about this, as I am not.

If it's a primary residence, the tax reporting is different than if it is an investment property. For a primary residence it's a repair (which is not a write off) and for an investment, it's an expense (which may be a right off).

In any case, only an accountant will know the correct answer for you. No matter the answer, keep records of what you spend so that when you sell, you or your accountant will be able to itemize what things may be considered on your taxes or not.

Good luck.

0 votes
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sat Mar 13, 2010
I'm not a lawyer or an accountant, so this isn't legal or accounting advice. For that, you need a lawyer or an accountant. However . . .

It depends on whether you're living there or not. Just as if you were living in a single family home and needed the roof repaired, no--that wouldn't be deductible. That's a repair.

If it's an investment property and you're renting it out, then yes. It's an expense. Just as if you had a single family home that needed a roof repair. It's an expense and you can deduct it.

That's pretty much in line with Keith's point--if your other condo fees or HOA fees are deductible, then a special assessment would likely be, too. Otherwise, no.

I'm guessing that you yourself live in the condo and got hit with an unexpected assessment. (It happens. I've lived in condos.) In that case, the special assessment is just like the condo fee itself, making it (in all cases I'm aware of) not deductible.

But certainly check with an accountant to be sure.

Hope that helps.
0 votes
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sat Mar 13, 2010
This is not tax advice.
The roof will be paid via your HOA dues, so the question is are your dues deductible.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more