I need a BINDER : temporary insurance while house rennovation completed & house eligible for "occupancy permit". (Insurance lost when

Asked by Robin, Seattle, WA Sat Oct 2, 2010

work stopped.) Seattle : fire 2006 ; 2 windstorms, drenching rain - 11-18-07 and 01-08-08 (3 Claims )

There were 180 days of delay caused by the Mortgage Company refusing to accept the Bid for months and
then withholding promised insurance money allowing two storms to reduced house to "studs on foundation" twice. And delays before inspections, one for 16 days . All during a time when inflation was extraordinary !

I used $28,000 from my "contents" money to rebuild north end foundation and to get updated engineering
drawings ...

I had to stop construction in the summer of 2008, the money eaten away by delay and inflation...

Now, in 2010, after two years of waiting I am applying for loan from King County to finish the house.

Please tell me where to go for the Binder.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Stephanie Clancy’s answer
Stephanie Cl…, , West Bellevue, Bellevue, WA
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Dear Robin...

Sounds like a real fiasco! You can contact Michael J. Girias Insurance in Renton and see if they can help. Their number is (425) 271-9331. I know they write binders all the time and they do have a number of construction clients. Hope the rest of this project runs smoother for you!

Stephanie Clancy
The Cascade Team
Simply Outrageous Service! Not Outrageous Commissions!
0 votes
David Marcoe, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sat Oct 2, 2010
I was a GC until this economy and have gone back to what I did for 20+ years. Buy and Sell Real Estate

Seattle has required me many times to get a binder.

I used

Akiyoshi, Doug
Bus: 206.230.0474
Mobile: 206.730.6162
Bus Fax: 206.230.0963

If he cannot get it then he should have a good recourse.
Good Luck with the build.
0 votes
Sean Goddard, Agent, Beaux Arts Village, WA
Sat Oct 2, 2010

I spent many years working for property claims adjusters. My understanding is the binder is provided by your insurer whoever that may be. If that's the case, Allstate, Safeco, Chubb Group or whomever you apply ,for HO Insurance should be able to provide that to you.

Do you have coverage currently? Have you applied and been denied as a high risk or uninsurable property?

There are brokers who sell your coverage to say Lloyds of London etc. Maybe you need to call one of them?

I know of a few on the Eastside / Bellevue.

Call me if you want my help.

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more