I'm wondering where to even start the process of turning a bedroom into a master bathroom?

Asked by kels.rae87, Sparta, NJ Tue Apr 9, 2013

I am currently living in a 5 bedroom, 1 bathroom home. The master bedroom is off the living room and it shares a wall/closet with the bedroom that we want to convert into a bathroom. The kitchen is on the other side of this bedroom we want to convert. I have no clue where to start looking to start such a project!! We really need another bathroom in such a big house and my fiance and I would like our own bathroom. Is it smarter to just build onto the house or what? We just put brand new siding and shingles on and really don't want to start that again. What's the smartest way to go about this?

Answers

5
Tim Booz, Agent, Butler, NJ
Sat Jan 31, 2015
Definitely speak with 2-3 contractors, and if possible, use someone recommended by a friend. If you're unfamiliar with the area, or don't have any one who comes recommended I know a few people have had success with homeadvisor.com.
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Wed Apr 10, 2013
Start with a reputable contractor. You might want to interview a couple. Pick their brains. They will know what you can and can't do both legally within he town and physically due to any restrictions the home presents.
Sounds like you've got plumbing nearby so that's a good start.
Good luck"!
Carla Olivar…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Tue Apr 9, 2013
You will need to contact a reputable licensed contractor (s) to give you an estimate, who will be able to determine if you really need to "build out" or not and will include the cost of the scope of the work, appropiate permits such as plumbing & electric, as well as the time to get the work done.
The exta bathroom will definitely make your 5 br home more appealing to a prospective buyer if you ever decide to sell.
You can go to http://:www.homeadvisor.com to find out contractors in your area.
Best of luck with your project ;)
Kim Loizzi, Agent, Rockaway, NJ
Tue Apr 9, 2013
Whenever you are contemplating a renovation you should talk with a reputable contractor. You may have many options and should consider all of them. Some thought starters: where is the water in the house, sewer/septic lines and such. I always abide by the rule of 3. Speak with 3 contractors/architects to get their thoughts and ideas. Then sit down and decide which one is best for you then pursue getting pricing and timeframe. Another thought is to adding or subtracting value from your home. Taking away a coveted bedroom may take some value and desirability away from your resale. On the other hand adding a bathroom especially when you have 5 bedrooms will definitely add value. I would have 3 in to give you some ideas. I respect Madsen Contractors. Tom Madsen is the owner and I hear highly respected. Between my post and the one before me you have the names of 2. I would also check the BBB and do some homework on reputation and work ethic as well. Good luck, maybe when its done you could post some before and after pictures!
Jane Jennings, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Tue Apr 9, 2013
I would suggest that you speak to an architect. That would be the smartest way to go. Here is an architect that you can contact. It's usually a small consulting fee involved.

Richard Nelson
973-335-2344
nel2000@optonline.net
http://www.RNelsonArchitect.com

Let me know how it works out.