Remodel & Renovate in Queens>Question Details

Casey, Home Owner in New York, NY

I'm planning to re-build a three-family house. Zoning restriction states that rear yard has to be 30 feet, but my land is only 30 wide and 64

Asked by Casey, New York, NY Tue May 3, 2011

depth... I plan to demolish my single-family house and re-build a three-family house on the lot...My lot size is only 30 x 64 feet, a R7B zone. I checked NYC.GOV website, it has to be at least 5 feet front yard and 30 feet rear yard...My lot is only 64 yards depth, do this restriction still apply? Which mean I could only build a house on 30 x 30 lot? Does anyone familiar with NYC Zoning please help! Much appreciated!

Hi Casey, There are so many variables- do check with an architect that really knows his business-I know a few. like Jonathan said may be better to rebuild on the the original structure as modification-the same restrictions do not apply since the building is already erected-you would need to keep the original foundation (could enlarge) and 1 original wall -will keep your taxes lower and if you are within 60 feet of a corner- the 30 feet can be waived....many many variables. Terry K 718-614-3167 cell or email me
My name is Evy Lin 718-730-5177 I have been a Realtor for many years and I am associated with builders and architects. If you have any questions you can always call me, Im a friendly neighborhood Realtor...
You really need to investigate further with the building's department regarding any restrictions, permits, etc., and as already stated you may wish to consult with an architect for building plans....
We as realtors are not the best to answer you must speak to an architect got get an exact figures before you start investing your time and money good luck.