I live in los angeles, ca. I have an open concept bathroom. I want to enclose it by adding 2 interior walls. Di I need a permit

Asked by vgadams, Los Angeles, CA Sun Sep 9, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Aaron Bellis…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Sun Sep 9, 2012
Yes you do, and you will need inspections at rough framing, drywall nailing and final.
1 vote
Brian Byhower, Agent, Hermosa Beach, CA
Sun Sep 9, 2012
More than likely you will, but check with the City of Los Angeles Planning Dept. for more help.
1 vote
Douglas Perez…, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Jan 9, 2013
It's always advisable to check with your local building and safety department eventhough it seems a small task.
0 votes
Yeprem P. Da…, , Encino, TX
Tue Jan 8, 2013
I would recommend you get a permit. This will allow you to show proof of any improvement to future buyers and keep you out of any issues that arise with an inspector or anything that comes up.

Good luck!

Yeprem P. Davoodian, M.A.
Pinnacle Estate Properties
0 votes
Anthony Perez, Agent, Northridge, CA
Sat Jan 5, 2013
Residential non structural partition walls without moving or altering the existing are exempt.
0 votes
Lucia Reed, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Sep 11, 2012
Yes, I agree that to be safe as well as easier to resell eventually, you should probably get a permit as opposed to just doing it. Another thing to consider is if you are in a condo don't forget to check with/apply for approval from your association.

We recently had a sale fall through because the seller did a remodel without HOA approval or permits.

Good Luck.
0 votes
SERGEY FEDNOV…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
It is alway a good idea to consult with department of building and safety office to find out if proposed work will require a permit/inspection, etc...

Hope this info will help you!

Please contact me anytime!

Free Consultation 424-777-9377

Help with any Real Estate Transaction Buy & Sell!

Thank you for your time.

Should you have any questions - please feel free to call me Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55 (1-855-878-7855)  ext. 777.

Sergey Fednov
President - Realtor
- Trust Sale Realty -
Residential & Commercial Real Estate
Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55
Toll Free: 1-855-878-7855
Phone: 424-777-9377
Fax: 310-356-4925 http://www.TrustSale.com 
0 votes
Douglas Perez…, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Sun Sep 9, 2012
As a general rule, if you are going to spend more than $500 in construction work, check with Building and Safety Department for compliance.

Here's the link to Building and Safety Department:

0 votes
Ron Escobar -…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Sun Sep 9, 2012
as a General contractor I can tell you the city wants to collect fees, so they will require a permit. Could you get away without one? it depends... maybe, but is probably best to do the things the right way so you will not have to go through pains that are not needed...

the only time they do not require permits is when you are doing finishes... like paint or cabinets or countertops... but structural stuff including electrical, mechanical (bathroom fan), plumbing... needs a fee paid... and an inspection...

every time I do work, when in doubt... pull a permit...

if you find my answer useful please give it a Thumbs Up!

0 votes
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sun Sep 9, 2012
Dear Vgadams,
I would get a permit for any/all construction work and use licensed contractors to complete it as well. A building permit is for your protection and insures you the minimum in building standards.
0 votes
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Sun Sep 9, 2012
Generally it does not hurt to ask. However, if you are not changing any plumbing, electrical, mechanical or structural components, you do not need a permit. In my opinion, as an Architect and a General Contractor, I do not see how you will "enclose" this bathroom without affecting at least the lights and/or electrical outlets.
0 votes
Sang and Son…, Agent, Los Angeles CA 90069, CA
Sun Sep 9, 2012
Best place to check is Building and Safety. They have offices in West LA, Van Nuys and Downtown Los Angeles.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more