Tess, Home Owner in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I'd appreciate advice on new flooring for a great room and kitchen. Do buyers here prefer hard tile throughout, or wood laminate, vinyl or?

Asked by Tess, Fort Lauderdale, FL Fri Aug 19, 2011

Christopher Pagli’s answer
Hi, I'm a big fan of real hardwood which will cost you roughly $3.50 per sq ft. From my experince you will get the most life out of the wood, overall appeal, and a warm opne feeling in your space.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group

As you can see, this is something that will have many different opinions. The one thing that I think most people will agree on is to stay away from carpet in the living areas. For the kitchen you should stay away from wood, and because of that you may want to do the same flooring in both rooms. It has better flow. I personally like tile, and you really can't go wrong with a neutral, good quality tile. It goes with all decor, and is easy to maintain.

Good luck with your decision!
Stefanie Cohen
Prudential Florida Realty
i prefer wood laminate in the kitchen. tile in the bathroom. and carpeting in the rest of the house.
I would do hard wood floor all over the house but for kitchen natural stone.Good luck.Thank you.
we installed Pergo throughtout the Kitchen, hall, Laundry and back entry:
Wehave had excellent luck, and that includes one flood-out due to the Washer.
We have Diabetis and neuropothy with sensitive feet. We love it and would do it again.
The tile hurts and is cold in winter.

Good luck and may God bless
I have been a Realtor for 14 years and laid flooring prior to that for another 10 years. The Kitchen should be a natural stone that is non porous so it will not stain or a neutral ceramic. Most people love to walk into a home with wood floors. It gets an emotional reaction. If you would like to know where to get the best prices for materials please contact me.
Hi Tess! Congratulations on buying a new home! I'm a new homeowner as well, and I prefer wood flooring for the "Key West" style look. However, for our upstairs living room, we are doing polished and stained concrete. It is extremely inexpensive, looks great, and easy to maintain. It's a modern approach to flooring. Good luck!
Hi Tess:

Buyers in the South Florida area prefer tile or marble throughout the living areas. Ease of cleaning and keeping cool in the summer heat. 20" X 20" has become the norm. Nuetral colors are always a good bet. Ask your installer to be sure and "seal" the grout upon completion. This helps keep the seems looking clean over a period of time. Wood or laminate flooring sells best in the bedrooms as oppossed to carpet. Laminate flooring is easily replaceable if there is flooding or a pet accident. Also an inexpensive solution compared to real hard wood floors. For great service, affordability & tile selection visit with Chris Carey @ DB Tile (954) 979-2066|1551 North Powerline Road|Pompano Beach, FL 33069-1680. She has a preferred vendor list of licensed & insured installers.

Amy Vulpis, Realtor®

Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Fl 1st
2700 E. Oakland Park Blvd
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308
Web Reference: http://www.amyvulpis.com

Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors for a reason; there are a lot of different buyers with a lot of different preferences. I find that you are better staying away from carpet in all living areas and there are a lot of buyers who do not even like it in bedrooms.

Since it sounds like you are only doing new floor covering in certain areas you need to be very careful as nothing looks worse than different materials that do not compliment each other. Linoleum and laminate flooring are not good options anywhere in my opinion. Nothing says cheap more than either of these choices.

Tile or natural stone, depending on your price point, are your best bets but something neutral in color. I love hardwood but you are probably better off with the tile or stone. After building many custom homes I would not use a pre-engineered product but that is me. It is acceptable to many but I would only install 3/4 solid tongue and groove material and would use as hard of wood as you can find.
I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
Web Reference: http://www.tompriester.com
If it is including a kitchen area, use Tile. You will find a great variety to choose from in both size and color. Stay neutral, the large diagonal expands the room. Best of luck.

Debbie Albert, PA
Keller Williams Treasure Coast

funny you should as as I came out of the flooring industry into Real Estate :O)

As a general rule, Tile is the way to go; followed by wood. I would caution you about wood in the kitchen, but it is done all the time. Stay away from laminates. laminates are junk, i dont care what anyone else says. I have seen too many issues with laminate that at the end of the day it is not worth it. Also keep in mind that by the time you get all of the add ons for laminate it is almost the same price as just doing wood. (wood will still be more, but on fractionally).

At the end of the day, it really depends on what you are using the house for. If you are renting out the property, go with tile. If you are using it as a second home do what you want. If you are just trying to sell it, put in an inexpensive tile and blow it out the door :O)

Flooring makes a difference and it can really be the differnce of a sale. let me know if you have any questions at all as this is really right up my alley and I can help you with the process from selection to selling the property if you need that as well.

Warmest Regards,

Roy D. Barker, Jr.
Associate Broker
PADI Course Director 199390
(786)863-7764 Direct Line
(239)848-7773 Assistant Direct
(941)240-2122 Fax
A member of Sandals Realty
Web Reference: http://www.fglrealty.com