I am a roofing contractor and I was wondering what I need to do in order to be able to give out roof certifications to home owners?

Asked by Keith Williams, Sewell, NJ Tue Sep 21, 2010

What state qualifications are needed to give a roof certification for a home when it is being sold?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


djennifer009, , Salt Lake City, UT
Mon Apr 6, 2015
You need to be a certified contractor. The specifics vary from state to state. Once you're certified, you can inspect roofs during sales. It should help your business a lot, because it really opens up what you can do. http://crosbyroofingusa.com
0 votes
Caleb Hart, Renter, Orem, UT
Mon Mar 9, 2015
To be honest, I didn't know roofers need to give out roof certifications. I have been thinking about getting my roof worked on for a while now. There's a lot of things wrong with it right now. http://www.nmtroofing.com
0 votes
lynnnchase9, , Omaha, NE
Fri Mar 6, 2015
I'm not sure how you would figure that out. If I were you, I would try contacting other roofing contractors in different areas to see what they do. It's important to figure it out as soon as you can so you're able to give them their certificates when you're through with the project. http://www.lmmartin.com/roofing.htm
0 votes
Caleb Hart, Renter, Orem, UT
Wed Dec 17, 2014
I haven't found any information about that, but I had a similar experience with a contractor once. He tried to give me a certificate but it turned out to be invalid. It was a big mess trying to find him again and get it all worked out. I wish I would have done more research before hiring him. http://www.earhartroofing.com/about
0 votes
I'm not sure. I would call other roofing contractors and see what they do. They should be able to give you plenty of information of what your next step should be. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you! http://www.skywalkerroofingnc.com
Flag Wed Jan 21, 2015
Eugene Dean, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Fri Nov 7, 2014
I would suggest contacting the appropriate local government office for this. Giving roof certifications without the necessary authority could cost you your business. You could be fined or held liable for any problems with the roofs you certify. It is better to be safe than sorry on this one.

0 votes
I'm not sure what the qualifications are. I would call other roofing contractors that you know and work with and see what they say. They should probably be able to help you with any questions or concerns you have. Good luck and I hope you figure everything out! http://tallguyroofing.com/
Flag Fri Dec 12, 2014
Gary Birtles, , Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Oct 29, 2014
It really depends on the area you are trying to work in. Every area has different laws and qualifications. I'd talk with the city to see what is needed. Sorry I couldn't be more help Keith. http://www.penroof.com/
0 votes
Myersjulie31, Home Buyer, Blakeslee, PA
Thu Oct 23, 2014
I think it depends what state you are in for what kind of certification that you need. I think that it is great that you are helping to get roofs repaired. It can be such a difficult situation to be in if you have a leaking or broken up roof. I have a neighbor that is trying to find a contractor but is having a hard time locating one. http://www.aaa-roofs.com/
0 votes
Eugene Dean, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Wed Oct 8, 2014
I wouldn't risk relying on the internet for this question. You should contact the appropriate government agency in your area. Handing out certifications when you are not allowed to could have some very serious consequences. If you are not eligible to give certifications, I am sure that they can give you information about what you need to do.

0 votes
I'm not sure where or how you can do that. I would call other roofing contractors and see what they do in this situation. I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you and help you figure out what you need. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you. http://www.conradroofing.com
Flag Mon Feb 9, 2015
I think water damage can be the most serious when you have roof damages. The water has easy access to your house until you figure out how to repair the roof. It's a good idea to get the roof repaired quickly so it's not such a big problem. http://leonardroofingllc.com/
Flag Fri Dec 12, 2014
Ian A. Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Tue Sep 21, 2010
From experience I have seen that only those that are licensed contractors can do that, however you are best to check with the local munipcal office.
0 votes
Elisa Dewees, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Tue Sep 21, 2010
I'm not so sure a state qualification would be your biggest concer. To provide a roof "certification" you are putting your reputation and business on the line because you will be stating in writing that the roof is sound, free of leaks. Some buyers may want a guarantee/warranty that states the roof will last at least another year or more. So I would check with your insurance carrier!
0 votes
Ines De La C…, Agent, Marlton, NJ
Tue Sep 21, 2010
Hello Keith,
Thanks for your question.
Check this directly with the town officials of the areas within you are interested in working. You have to be licensed and insured. If I needed a roof cert, I will ask for that. Then network with realtors that are in those areas so when they have home selling they can reach out to you.
Good luck,
Web Reference:  http://www.inesdelacruz.com
0 votes
I was going to say the same thing. You need a license, but the specific requirements vary from state to state. Make sure you know your city's building codes as well. Once you're licensed, you'll be able to network with people who need their roofs certified. | http://www.whalleysfourseasonsroofing.ca/
Flag Sat Feb 14, 2015
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more