How much should I spend on my backyard patio and landscaping?

Asked by Salas2262, 78681 Fri Mar 8, 2013

What is the return on hardscaping/landscaping?

Answers

4
Beth Seifart, Agent, Leesburg, VA
Sat Apr 13, 2013
I know that curb appeal is important. A house that is landscaped is more appealling to the buyer however, I tell my clients the most important thing is having everything clean and trimmed. For just a little investment you can add mulch and a few annuals and if the shrubs are trimmed and YOUR GRASS is cut this can make a huge difference to a potential buyer.

I hope this helps!

Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty - Leesburg, VA
I think that's your own decision to make. You need to decide what kind of budget you want, but then stick to it. There's no point in making a budget if you just blow right through it. I would just get some estimates from a couple different companies and then plan your budget, because that way you'll get a good idea of a reasonable price range. http://lifestylepatios.com
Flag Sat Oct 25, 2014
Beth Seifart, Agent, Leesburg, VA
Fri Mar 8, 2013
Hello Salas2262 I am someone who really enjoys landscaping and how it improves the curb appeal of any home. My biggest question is how long are you going to live in your home? If you are planning on living in your home for more than a few years I would say develop a plan either on your own or work with a local landscaper and do the work in stages. However, if you are planning on not being in the home for more than a few years I would go for clean and simple. Mulch and pruning can do wonders for a yard and I often suggest just that for my clients when they put their home on the market. I also suggest look closely at erosion issues around the house and at least put mulch or stones and maybe some small evergreen shrubs around the foundaton to help wash water away from the house.

I hope this helps!
Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty-Leesburg VA
Thanks Beth. I keep saying this is not my forever home, but I've put so much money into now, that it looks like I'll be there for awhile. I had my house appraised last year for a refinance, and if I sold today, I would break even, (pretty much), of the amount of money I've invested. So that's my concern, now I am wondering what the normal investment return I can expect for hardscaping in my backyard. You know what I mean?
Flag Fri Mar 8, 2013
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Mar 8, 2013
A question only you can answer; spend as little, or as much, that will result in your enjoyment...
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Fri Mar 8, 2013
It's hard to put a ficgure on the landscaping return. I will tell that curb appeal is extremely important and can be the deciding factor for buyers to see or pass on the home. Look at it as completing the properties image and enahancing the overall value. Make sure whatever you do doesn't take away from the amount of entertaining and play space.

Chris