How much is it to convert a two family to a one family?

Asked by paesana82, Brooklyn, NY Fri May 3, 2013

I'm a first time home buyer. My husband and I have 4 kids. We've seen a few 2 family houses for sale in our price range that would be nice if we could just use it as a one family. How much would something like that cost? One house we are looking at is a 2 family almost 2000sqft in Gravesend. I do NOT care about increasing the value of the house ( I know that usually comes up with these kinds of questions)

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mitchell Feldman’s answer
Mitchell Fel…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Mon May 6, 2013
Dear Paesana82:

If you simply want to use the entire 2 family home for your own family you do not have to do anything other than live in it. If you need to make physical alterations to accommodate your family in a more comfortable way, you need to use licensed contractors and make sure you get the proper permits. There is no way for us to tell you how much this would cost because it depends on what you want to do.

The only thing I will caution you on is this... if you remove one of the kitchens, when you go to sell the house your future buyer may have a problem getting the mortgage because a bank always wants to see two kitchens in a two family house. If the 2 family house has only one kitchen, the bank most likely will refuse to lend until it is corrected.

I would not recommend changing the house legally to a one family, keep the two family status no matter what you do, it will increase your buyer pool when you go to sell the property. If I can be of further assistance, please contact me direct. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
1 vote
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sat May 4, 2013
Prudent for you to het in touch with a few good General Contractors,
also check with the city, or their web site for Cost of such
Permits and conversion.

Web Reference:
1 vote
Kathryn Lilly, Agent, New York, NY
Sat May 4, 2013
There is not a legal issue with under using a house: IE using a two family is not a problem.
So why downsize it legally, and give options away down the road. It is much bigger deal to up use a building and should never be done with out legalizing it.
So leave at a two, use it as a one.(remove one of the kitchens etc. and when you come to selling it your buyer will still have the option of using it as a one or two family legally.
The cost of taking out a kitchen and making closets etc. to finish the extra space, call a few contractors after working out what you like.
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
1 vote
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri May 3, 2013
Too many factors involved, therefore why not consult with a few local licensed contractors and ask for free estimates, then go from there.
1 vote
Jean-claude…, Home Buyer, Yonkers, NY
Sun May 1, 2016
Completely renovation on a two family home 3 over 3 bedrooms some fire damage on back and side of home
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more