How many bedrooms do I put in my walk-up attic for the best return on the money?

Asked by Ann, Chicago suburbs, Illinois Tue Jan 27, 2009

I just bought a bungalow with two modestly sized bedrooms on the first floor and one small bathroom. I also have a walk-up attic that offers some potential. I'm looking to make the best long-term investment possible when I remodel the attic space. I can't decide how many bedrooms to make upstairs (there's not a ton of space, either) Do I choose....

Option A: One master bedroom upstairs with a walk-in closet and bathroom (total of 3 bds)
Option B: Two smaller bedrooms upstairs with a shared bathroom (total of 4 bds)
Option C: One bedroom with a bathroom and a media room/office (total of 3 bds)
Option D: ....any other ideas?

Thanks for your feedback!

Answers

1
Sj209, Both Buyer And Seller, California
Wed Jan 28, 2009
First, read the articles in the WSJ regarding treating your home as an investment. The main thing is for you to be happy and comfortable. That said, since there is not a lot of space I would go with Option C or similar. The upstairs bedroom should be the master bedroom if possible. Check regulations, if the ceiling isn't high enough you could have a problem. This sounds like an expensive project, dig deep & good luck!