How do I get plans for my house?

Asked by Christy, Butler, NJ Sat Jun 25, 2011

I just bought a house in Ringwood and eventually we want to do some work on it. I'm curious how to get the original building plans.

Answers

2
Warren Freri…, Agent, Fairfield, NJ
Tue May 21, 2013
I would start by going to your local building dept in Town. They are a wealth of knowledge!!!
Web Reference:  http://www.TheGoodLifeNJ.com
Jannis Vann, , 30188
Mon Jun 27, 2011
First place to look is the city or county permit office. There should be a set of plans on file there. They are not allowed to give out copies of the plan due to copyright violations, but you should be able to get the name of the company who designed the house. You can contact them with the plan name and or number and they can provide you with information to purchase a set for yourself. The county would also have the name of the contractor. It is possible they might still have a copy of the plan. Although you cannot build a second home from the plans without permission from the design firm, you can use it for the purposes you describe. Good Luck.