How do I find an experienced 203k general contractor in phoenix az?

Asked by Frggygrrl, Phoenix, AZ Tue Apr 21, 2009

I plan on using a 203K standard FHA loan and need a contractor to oversee the project. Preferably one that is already familiar with the 203K loan process. I know someone who is experienced enough to do most of the work for a much lower cost than a General Contractor would charge me, so I only need somoene to oversee the project who will not charge me retail for doing so.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joe Borelli, Other Pro, Riverview, FL
Tue Jul 26, 2016
The major draw back when opting for 203K financing is finding a contractor who can comply with the qualifications required by FHA and who is willing to work under FHA payment terms. As the 203k guidelines are complicated to meet, work with a local FHA approved lender with experience in funding 203K loans for renovation of residential properties in your area. Call one of the 203K experts mentioned below to get references for contractors in Arizona:
1 vote
Wally Knipp, , Arizona
Wed Apr 4, 2012
Start by going to the website When you find a contractor in your area that is certified be sure you google them to see what others say about them. Find them on Facebook, twitter or call the contractor asking for references of other homeowners that have completed a renovation using a 203k loan.

Interview the contractor, ask questions:
1. How many 203k renovations have you completed
2. what is the bidding process
3. how do I know what quality I am paying for (appliances, flooring and carpet has different levels or quality)

The Registrar of contractors can provide information on the contractor you are looking to hiring.

The better business bureau will let you know if your contractor has any complaints…

Mostly ask questions and be sure your are comfortable with the contractor you choose,
0 votes
If you have any questions please let me know.
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012
George Ward, , Phoenix, AZ
Mon Aug 9, 2010
Call Me.

George Ward
Strata Development LLC

(480) 703-6622

I have done over 30 203k's and have done these will many, many different lenders. Please check out my site below...

Thank you for your trust!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Brandi Hunt, , Phoenix, AZ
Mon Jun 14, 2010
Gauge Construction Inc specializes in 203k contracting, renovations and remodels. Fully bonded, licensed and insured, Gauge has also been EPA Lead Paint Certified for homes built before 1978. Please visit our website for more info : or call 602.464.3454. Our company is built on the values of integrity, quality and service! Our clients will give glowing references!
0 votes
Jlp, Home Buyer, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Apr 30, 2010
Ask the HUD appraiser- they typically know 2 or 3 contractors to use. I'm currently using MAC.

They key is to ensure they pass the bank's vetting process. I tried 2 prior contractors, only to be rejected by the bank. MAC was referred by the appraiser because she knew they have worked with the bank before.
0 votes
Stew Keene, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Jun 3, 2009

The FHA 203k contractor needs to be approved.

Contact TDC interriors at

Either of the two contacts should be able to help you.

Stew Keene
Signature Realty Group
Web Reference:
0 votes
George Ward, , Phoenix, AZ
Tue Jun 2, 2009
Go to or or They are a great source for the best GC's in town.... Not just guys working out of the back of their truck, but their team members include former VP's of Contruction for Top 10 Homebuilders, and generally, the "good guys" who did the right thing by their subs, etc.,. when the market fell apart.
0 votes
Dee Johnson, Agent, Prescott Valley, AZ
Tue Apr 21, 2009
I would recommend several things. Have your loan people give you recommendations. Ask around--word of mouth is a great way to find people. Check the Contractor's Association in the county you are going to be building in. When you get recommendations or names, you can interview them to see if they will do what you want them to do. Always get at least 3 bids. Check out the contractors you are looking at in the Arizona Registry of Contractors. You will get information that includes any complaints they may have gotton. The web site is: In my opinion there are a lot of great people out there who do this and you just need to do some work to find the right one. Good luck!
0 votes
Stew Keene, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Apr 21, 2009

First off, good luck with your 203k purchase!

You don't need a GC to do a 203k. You can be your own GC and you must use licensed and bonded sub contractors to perform the work.

Stew Keene
Inspire Realty Group
0 votes
Lucinda Tkach, , Phoenix, AZ
Tue Apr 21, 2009
You have to have a licensed bonded contractor for the estimates, that is all the lenders will accept! This insures that your project will be completed. The lender will pay them when improvements are complet! It also protects you the buyer!

Your lender should have a list of contractors they use or would reccomend.

0 votes
Paul Welden, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Apr 21, 2009
go to

Buyer's Agent Realtor
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more