Hi, I am thinking about buying a small house (900-1100 sf) most likely rancher style in South San Francisco or San Bruno.

Asked by Sic, San Francisco, CA Sun Aug 28, 2011

I'd like to eventually build an additional bedroom. Can you think of a good online source that would help me answer some questions about city requirements if it comes to permits for such an addition? Maybe your or your clients experiences? Also, do you know how much would it cost?
Thanks in advance!

Answers

3
Phyllis McAr…, Agent, San mateo, CA
Sat Oct 1, 2011
The best way to handle this, is to go directly to the building department and talk to someone there. I have been to both many times and they are very good to deal with.

As far as ANY major work done to a home it's Mandated to get permits, both communites have had some "unwarrented" work done on homes and it becomes a nightmare for the homeowner who purchase the home with additions with no permits.

Even if you pruchase a small ranch style home in these communities, your realtor MUST investigate the home for a "permit search" at the building dept. Just to be safe.

Phyllis McArthur DRE#01303020
Girouard Properties
(650) 315-8904
http://www.phyllisfindshomes.com
Francisco En…, Agent, South San Francisco, CA
Thu Sep 1, 2011
The best source is the City of SSF website: http://www.ssf.net
Check with them them regarding permits, zoning, requirements, timetables etc.

When expanding it's always best to get permits for the work done, one, to make sure that things are done right and according to code, and two, to ensure higher market value later on should you decide to sell.

Costs will vary -- I always recommend you talk to at least 3 contractors who work in the area to get a clear picture of their plans, rates etc. The best price is not always the best option. Remember, you get what you pay for. The City of SSF may also be able to recommend some local contractors who they have dealt with in the past.
Mikel DeFran…, Agent, Canton, MA
Sun Aug 28, 2011
depends on the zoning, setbacks and what you can pay. Keep in mind, it is much more expensive to add on than to buy something that has the proper size and just update it.. or to stretch a little more now so you don't need the expensive add-on later.