Has anyone had experience dealing with a horrible contractor in Los Angeles county? Bad workman ship, work unfinished, devastating to your family?

Asked by Jimmylarcky, San Jose, CA Tue Aug 13, 2013

Answers

7
Annie Ritz, , Los Angeles, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
I have had many clients refer to Angie's list with great success!
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Thu Aug 15, 2013
To avoid this disaster, hire knowledgeable, licensed, bonded and properly insured contractors. Check references. Also, make sure all work is done with the proper permits. and remember, good work is not cheap and cheap work is not good. If you always go for the bottom line, you will more often than not end up in this type situation.
100% correct!
Flag Thu Aug 15, 2013
Stephanie Me…, Agent, Schenectady, NY
Sat Dec 14, 2013
This answer is meant as advice for anyone about to start a large renovation or construction project.

I would suggest being present on the jobsite to monitor progress and make sure things are being completed to your satisfaction. Large projects have all kinds of variables; sometimes things may not be able to completed exactly as planned. If you're present, you can work with your contractor to find a satisfactory solution.

As for poor workmanship and leaving work unfinished, catch mistakes and minor workmanship errors as they're occurring. If you're not happy with the work being done, speak up and have it corrected before it becomes a huge problem. For this to happen, you'll have to visit the jobsite frequently to keep an eye on progress. Educate yourself about the proper way to do things so you can spot potential issues. Pay as work is being completed. Try paying for materials yourself and pay for labor on a weekly basis. This way if things really aren't working out, you can find someone else to complete the job.
Carmen Brode…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Dec 13, 2013
It's unfortunate but you can run into issues with any type of service provider no matter where you live.
SoCal Prefer…, , Los Angeles, CA
Thu Dec 12, 2013
Trusted, reliable contractors should not be hard to find in Los Angeles. Many homeowners use 3rd party sites like home Advisory and thumbtack to get qualified contractors. I believe its helpful. Whats more helpful is simply Google "keywords" and your location to find local contractors directly in your city. If you still out of luck, try http://www.socalpb.com 855-247-6225 for a free estimate.

Things to consider when hiring:

Check license in CSLB #1 and most important thing. HIRE LICENSED!

Google search the companies name. Check out ALL REVIEWS.

Request a free estimate and find out for yourself if they can make the cut. Ask plenty of questions and reiterate your main focuses. Be clear, and concrete. Dont leave any stones unturned.

Make sure they follow through on proposal. Ask for samples. Call referrals and make sure they can be trusted.
Web Reference:  http://www.socalpb.com
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Wed Aug 14, 2013
I haven't (Thank God) but I'm very careful on who I hire to work on my property. I would never hire anyone unlicensed or do any work that is not permitted by the city. Those would be the minimum standards. I also like to use a service called Angie's List that has reviews from other homeowners on Trades People if I can't get a referral from a friend or relative.
Deborah Garv…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, San Diego, CA
Tue Aug 13, 2013
Jimmylarcky,

I am willing to bet someone in ANY part of the country has, at one time or another, had a negative experience with a contractor. Sometime minor, sometimes catastrophic. Unfortunately, too many homeowners do not do enough research to ensure they are really hiring the most competent contractor. Or, they hire their neighbors "son, brother, cousin" with out doing any due diligence and/or they simply hire the contractor with the lowest bid.

All of these examples are a sure fire way to prompt the question you have posed. I have written blogs on this (having worked in renovation financing, remodeling business and acting as my own General Contractor as number of times, I do have a few tricks) and have a couple suggestions:

1). Get multiple referrals from past and current customers.
2). Find customers the contractor does not give you the names and addresses
3). Visit a work site/project in process. Is it orderly? Are the homeowners happy to the overall experience.
4). Check out Angie's List
5). Check licenses, insurance, liens, etc.

There are great contractors in all fields...and there are some not so great. Doing your due diligence will help avoid frustration.

All my best,

Deborah