Do I need a permit to replace my A/C unit?

Asked by Tony, Lehigh Acres, FL Fri Jan 7, 2011

I am an out of state investor. Recently I bought few foreclosure houses in Lehigh Acres. As you already know they either have been neglected or things are stolen. I need to replace the A/C unit. Do I need a permit for that?
I want to cut cost by buying an used unit and have the A/C license repairmen to install for me.
Lee country issue tickets for people raise chickens in their back yard or yard sales in the garage etc... I don't want any surprises. Maybe there is website in Lee county for rules and regulations for home updates, improvements but I don't see.
As always thank you for your advices, feed backs or suggestions.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Maggie Hawk, Agent, New Smyrna Beach, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Whether or not you need a permit will depend on the county's requirements. Try calling one of the people in the Permitting Department for Lee County. I've included a link to their phone directory below:

Also, keep in mind that federal regulations regarding minimum energy efficiency for A/C units calls for a minimum of 13 SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating), and that the inside and outside units must be compatible. Before buying a used unit, please check and make sure that it meets federal standards. Good luck.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
2 votes
lynnnchase9, , Omaha, NE
Tue Apr 28, 2015
I think it depends on a couple of variables. If I were you, I would suggest calling an air conditioning company to see if you need to reinstall a new one. If they see that it's in good shape, there is no need to replace it. However, if they can tell it's on its last legs, I would look into reinstalling a new one.…
0 votes
David Irwin, Agent, Naples, FL
Sat Jan 8, 2011
Hi Toni,

Welcome to Lehigh Acres, great investment area congrats! As far as the permit to replace the A/C unit yes you will but as the other agents already indicated call Lee Cty (Maggie posted the link) and hear it from the horses mouth as to the proper course of action to take, surprises are not fun, they usually cost $$.
Best of luck to you!

Dave Irwin
V.P. Sales, Carney Properties and Investment Group
Cape Coral, FL.
0 votes
Carl Ashton, , Boca Raton, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
In Florida anything verticle that is being replaced or installed must have a permit.

Per LCPA dept
0 votes
Judy Sharma, Agent, Grover Beach, CA
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Hi Toni,
You should check with City. I agree with you that this way you can avoid lots of headache and costs.
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Your experts to answer all your questions is the city itself .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Paul Gruenth…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
I agree with Edyta. You will most likely need an A/C installation permit. You must have one in Jacksonville. The license installer will do that for you and its should be included in their bid.
I included the Building Services link for Lee County.
Good luck.
0 votes
Edyta Gryc -…, , Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011

Usually this type of work requires permit. You should contact the local building and zoning department for the cities where your properties are located and check their requirements. Usually the contractor that replaces the unit will take care of the permits.
You may check this website
Good luck!
0 votes
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Call the Lee County Clerk of Courts......they can point you in the right direction.
0 votes
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
No. You don't need a permit..... But call B+Z to be sure.

Mott Kornicki, Broker
Waterway Realty Company

SIB Real Estate | Sunny Isles Beach Real Estate + Information |
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Remodel & Renovate in Popular Lehigh Acres Neighborhoods

Email me when…

Learn more