Contractor rebuilt steps of my home. I asked for a partial refund. I have to hire another contractor to complete the job. What are my options?

Asked by Klo1013, Brooklyn, NY Mon Jan 7, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Martina Ryan, Agent, Flushing, NY
Fri Jan 11, 2013
Try small claims court & bring receipts and all paperwork.
0 votes
Compass Insp…, Other Pro, Brewster, NY
Thu Jan 10, 2013
The first step is to contact the contractor in writing send both certified and standard mail. If possible tell him meet you in person and hand it over stick in on car window. If you have his cell phone number text the contents of the letter to him to show your evidence. Notifying the contractor of the steps you are going to take is important if you decide to take legal action. For instance notifying his insurance company, notifying NYC Department of Building dial 311
It is important to include documentation you will deliver to NYC DOB the contractor’s insurance company and court filing. Photos of poor work and previous condition contact or anything in writing email bills for material is rock solid evidence. Also get estimates from contractors to repair defects. You can also have it independent inspector document the defects not the building department to document the defects. This does two things puts contractor on notice and also works as an intimidation factor.
Good luck, don’t give up Anthony
Compass Inspectors
Visit us
like us friend us on face book
see us
0 votes
Rhonda Holt, Agent, New York, NY
Tue Jan 8, 2013
Hello, I'm hoping you had a clear contract for the exact work to be done. If you have a contract then you can talk to an attorney or go to small claims court to file a suit (it all depends on the amount of money you want to be refunded).

You should have a contract, pictures of before and after, and any receipts for the money you paid to the contractor for an incomplete job.

Good luck!
0 votes
Robbie Vaughn, Agent, Mineola, NY
Mon Jan 7, 2013
Consult with an attorney. Sometimes, a call from your attorney will get your money refunded. shouldn't cost much at all.
0 votes
Mitchell Fel…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Mon Jan 7, 2013
Dear Klo1013:

I would recommend that you just chalk it up to experience and write it off as a loss. Usually in situations like this it is hard or next to impossible to get any money back. In most cases it is not worth the time and effort. This is why it is very important to always check out your contractors, make sure they are licensed and put everything aspect of the job/deal in writing. Your best bet is to use someone who has been around for a very long time and has a great reputation. The actual price should be the last consideration because as we know is often the case... cheap is dear! Good luck, I hope you have a better experience with your next contractor.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Jan 7, 2013
Was the contractor licensed...For any necessary legal advice consult with an attorney, most professional do offer a free consultation. Also consider filing a report with the local better business bureau
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more