Spidercraw, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Can you convert a RESIDENTIAL property into a COMMERCIAL property?

Asked by Spidercraw, Philadelphia, PA Fri Dec 16, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Spider,

As the answers below informed you, you must first look into the current zoning map to see if your desired use is permitted. If so, you can go to L&I Building Dept and find out what you'll need to complete a new Use Registration Permit/Certificate. They will tell you that you will need a\to apply for a Zoning Certificate or apply for a Zoning Variance.

You'll need to submit drawings, proposed drawings, etc..

Good luck with your project.

All the best,
Larry Lichtman
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell/Text: (267) 254-7994
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
sometimes...you can speak to zoning at the MSB at 1401 JFK or speak to an atty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Dear Spidercraw,
Not very easily, because of City Zoning and Usage Laws. Before you think to trying to do this, you must go to the city to find out if the zoning can be changed from Residenital to Commercial. It's a long process and expensive to do. You may not succeed in the end, so speak to an attorney who has a Real Estate specialty first.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
Yes. This is a process, however.
Philadelphia zoning code is complex and certain properties may qualify for a particular zoning and some may not. You do need an attorney and other specialists such as a structural engineer or and architect to help with drawings for the new proposed commercial usage and building permits that will have to follow the variance and new commercial zoning approval by department of licenses and inspections. We are a professional property management company and can refer you to all necessary professionals. Please feel free to contact me directly should you decide to proceed with your property zoning changes. We can assist you with referrals and construction, renovation, purchase, sale, management, etc.
Dmytro V. Bova
Realty Mark - The Diamond Group-Real Estate Sales
Main Line Investors Group - Property Management
700 E. Township Line Road, Suite 100
Havertown, PA 19083
Tel: 610-348-8389
Tel: 610-449-1919 x.223

Never Stop Building
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 17, 2011
Only if the area is zoned Commerical,or you can get approvals from the city
Contact me and I will send you a zoning chart of the city
Michael Cohen 610-642-0347
Web Reference: http://www.phillyreo.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
Properties are zoned, some can be changed with a varience, the property will need to meet specific zoning requirements for the area for any conversion to be considered.

You need a real estate attorney to begin with.

Ana Barlow, Coldwell Banker Preferred, Philadelphia

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer