As a Canadian citizen who owns property in the Phoenix area I was told that I can not do renovations and/or

Asked by Alan, Phoenix, AZ Wed Aug 26, 2009

upgrades to my property. I must use local contractors. Is this true??

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jennie Miller, Pllc’s answer
Jennie Miller…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Sun Jul 15, 2012
I would recommend that find both a good US accountant and attorney. There will likely be many more questions that you have during the time that you own property here. Additionally, you want some additional advice in the event you are renting the home and generating income.
0 votes
Ann Griffin, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Thu Jul 12, 2012
It is possible because if you are doing work that could be construed as taking work away from legal US residents, you could get in trouble. As a dual citizen who went through the whole immigration process to the USA, I can tell you to be careful. I just spent about 20 minutes searching the web and could not find the place I read this before, so my best advice to you is to consult an attorney in the USA to be sure. Good luck.
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed Aug 26, 2009
Who told you this? If you need city permits could have some specifications. Contact the city or HOA resolve all your issues.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter:
Web Reference:
0 votes
Loren Green, Other Pro, Buckeye, AZ
Wed Aug 26, 2009
Bill is right, your citizenship has no bearing on the remodel. I have done remodel plans for a Canadian citizen before. You only have to show that you own the property.
Any restrictions to what can be done would come from the city, home owner's association and/or if it is in the historic district, the city historic district.
In Arizona you may act as your own general contractor and/or do the labor yourself, except for hvac, plumbing and electrical. If the total project is more than $1000 then anyone besides yourself that works on the project should be either unpaid or an employee of an Arizona licensed subcontractor. The municipality nor the registrar of contractors will penalize you for not using licensed contractors, but you lose any protection that the registrar provides if you don't. The registrar can fine the individual working without a license.
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Aug 26, 2009
There may be regulations that inpact the scope of work that can be done by a homeowner without a permit to do the work. This in no way is impacted by your Canadian citizenship or American citizenship.

Contact the city to find out what the "home owner's" limitations are. Be assured this will have nothing to do with Canadian or US citizenship.

Good luck
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more