Rxmas, Home Buyer in 60660

Advisability of tearing down a rear addition?

Asked by Rxmas, 60660 Wed May 12, 2010

I'm interested in a house that has a rear addition to a 2-flat. Basically, the house was elongated: the addition extends the traditional back porch area, and was enclosed to make additional living space. I'd be interested in tearing the addition down, and maintaining the traditional back porch area. Would this be unwise, and significantly reduce the value of the house (as of right now, illegal units are crammed into the addition)? Or, on the other hand, would this be more trouble/cost than it's worth?
I know that people often are trying to increase their rear porch situation, but I don't know how common it is to do the opposite.

Answers

2
Agranias, , Chicago, IL
Fri Jun 4, 2010
Contact an archtiect who can advise you properly.

Design 21 Co.
1016 W. madison
Chicago, Il.
13129289999

Ask for Van Tomaras
Patrick Thies, Agent, Anytown, IL
Wed May 12, 2010
You should check city codes and see what is legal and allowed. If you purchase the property, you may need to bring it to code.

If the space is allowed, it may be better to make it code and proper. This would give more living space and add value.

If the enclosed porch is not allowed by code, then you may need to put it back to it's proper state.