Advice on who to call to re-route gas pipe for a front brick/concrete patio project

Asked by Phong Lam, Philadelphia, PA Thu Jun 9, 2011

Dear Fellow Trulia Users,

I am wondering if anyone know who should I contact if I am trying to move the front gas pipe in front of my home to maybe 1 foot towards the sidewalk so that I can convert my current front yard garden to a brick/concrete patio? The gas casket is currently laying right on my grass lawn and I do not wish to build the bricks/concrete patio over it. I've contacted PGW and they have no idea. If they have no idea, I really have no where else to turn to. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Note: This home is a typical row/town house in South Philadelphia.


Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Phong Lam’s answer
Phong Lam, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Thu Jun 16, 2011
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your inputs! PGW (Philadelphia Gas Works) told me that they don't handle that. Funny how it is their valve out there in my lawn sticking 6 inches above ground and they tell me that they cannot extend the line out towards the sidewalk? They must be kidding me!

Just a quick question, plumbers able to move the gas service utility pipe in front of a house? How much does it normally cost to move the gas line in front of a home to like 1 feet out towards the sidewalk?

Once again, thank you all for your help with your feedbacks! Have a wonderful day!

0 votes
Larry Lichtm…, Agent, Bala Cynwyd, PA
Thu Jun 9, 2011
Hi Phong,

Sounds like you may have to move the main service pipe and meter. Any qualified,competent plumber should be able to offer you some options. Let me know if you need a referral to a good plumber, Have a great day. STAY COOL. It's blazing out today.

All the best,
Larry Lichtman
Web Reference:
1 vote
Eugene Dean, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Tue Jul 29, 2014
I am having a similar issue with the construction of my deck. I had already invested a lot of time and money into the build, when I discovered that the meter needed to be moved. I called my city utility department, and they told me that they couldn't do anything either. After reading this thread, I called a plumber that specializes in gas piping. Thanks for the suggestions.
0 votes
Tom Lowy, Agent, Wayne, PA
Fri Jun 10, 2011
A certified plumber in your area would be the best person to call. You can check With PGW and they may be able to recommend someone
0 votes
Bruce Lang, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Thu Jun 9, 2011
call PGW..also go to city web page...there is a "one call info" call before you "dig"...they will come mark all cables/pipes.
0 votes
Bob Clark, Agent, Auburn, NH
Thu Jun 9, 2011
You can contact the gas company they will have a reference or call a local plumber.
0 votes
Bob Clark, Agent, Auburn, NH
Thu Jun 9, 2011
You can contact the gas company they will have a reference or call a local plumber.
0 votes
Belinda John…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Thu Jun 9, 2011
Contact Derrick with Ultimate concrete, he can help you out. 215-848-2889 or visit his web-site. Ultimate

Belinda Johnson
Keller Williams Real Estate
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more