Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Quincy : Real Estate Advice

  • All159
  • Local Info13
  • Home Buying39
  • Home Selling5
  • Market Conditions5

Activity 47
Wed Aug 23, 2017
Steve Bracero answered:
If it listed on the MLS, it should be priced accordingly. If you are looking at a property and it says "off market, public record" it is currently not for sale.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon May 15, 2017
Adam L. asked:
My wife and I just closed on a home about two months ago using a VA backed mortgage. We both just had excellent career opportunities that would require us to move to another state. What…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 21, 2017
Lenny Harris answered:
Currently there is no program in Massachusetts offering any type of grant for purchasing a multi family home. As Bob says, there are lending programs through the state (Mass Housing) and federal government (FHA or FNMA) that offers assistance to first time buyers in the way of lower down payments and waiving of private mortgage insurance (PMI). Your best bet is to contact a Realtor or Mortgage Broker that can help guide you. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 23, 2016
Dgldm answered:
Sadly, check with lender. My husband and I are full-time students plus we full-time making a good living. Just today we were told that because of changes they have to count our students, which are in deferment. We were told to consolidate our student loans, but we can't do that because we are not done with school. I have about 2 years to go and my husband has anywhere from 3 - 5 years. Our degrees will enhance our careers allowing us to make more money, but the mortgage company saw the word deferment and said they had to consider 2% as debt. So be aware there might be challenges. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 9, 2016
Kutty asked:

We are in the process of building a new home and were about to sign P&S when we discovered a discrepancy in the sq ft.

Basically, we agreed on a price for a 3000 sq ft plan…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 28, 2015
Dan Tabit answered:
Generally, yes but there are always details in your contract which must be read and understood. I would have a hard time recommending a buyer waive the inspection, especially if they didn't do some investigation on their own.
If your agent isn't being helpful, get to an attorney with your contract right away. Time is not on your side and if you can get it back, you may need to request it with the right reason within the appropriate time.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Mar 5, 2015
Josh Barnett answered:
Mon Feb 23, 2015
Austin Partain answered:
I would refer to your lease first. Second, I would speak to a Real Estate Attorney that specializes in Tenant Laws and protection in Massachusetts. Put everything in writing to your landlord and have him sign it or respond. Emails can be used as correspondence in a case. If he is neglecting safety hazards in the home, my understanding is he can be sued for triple damages if anything were to happen. Again, you'll want to speak with an Attorney and make sure you have your lease & copy of conversations. Records of everything will be your most important asset if anything were to happen. Best of luck. If you decide to move, call me. I can help. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 19, 2014
Margaret Minghui Call answered:

I am a Mandarin Chinese Speaking salesperson at Weichert Realtors-Channing Real Estate in Cambridge Mass. I would be happy to help you with your home search in the Greater Boston area Massachussetts.

Margaret Minghui Call
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 15, 2014
asmith6510 answered:

0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun May 18, 2014
Murphy Team answered:
You can/may choose to accept Disclosed Dual Agency where the listing agent represents both parties. This is practiced quite often. We recommend, however, that you enlist the services of a Buyer Agent where you are a Client of this agent. This evens the playing field and gives you a professional advocate in the transaction.

Ask to see what we call a "Form 3" which is a state and Real Estate Commission required form describing the various relationships available to you in our industry.

Simply said, you are free to use whomever you please to represent you.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun May 18, 2014
Murphy Team answered:
If most homes you are looking at have sump pumps, it is not such a red flag. There are battery back-up systems for sump pumps and there are companies who specialize in waterproofing basements. Get a free estimate on this cost and try to negotiate all or part of this cost.

Impossible to comment on the crossbeam.

Asbestos siding is common in many areas. We are told it is a great insulator and a very strong product. Some people cover the siding with tyvec and vinyl and just leave it there forever.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun May 18, 2014
Murphy Team answered:
Different lenders have different criteria with respect to what are "acceptable" items to lump into seller-paid closing costs. Check with your lender to determine that all the funds committed by the seller are going to be used up. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 21, 2014
Annette Lawrence answered:
You pay it.
Advise the new buyer this is why the monthly dues are so low.
Unless, this was a one time assessment and will not recur.
In that case, pay it and say nothing.

If the buyer was fully aware of the pending assessment, the buyer may have budgeted for it. Now would be a good time to demonstrate your skills of negotiation.

One condo community here in Dunedin, FL, had a $60,000 per unit assessment a few years ago. 30% of the units had to be sold because the owners could not pay the assessment. There are always workarounds or options that aren't linear.

To answer your question I would ask, "If the buyer refuses to pay the assessment and backs out of the deal, who will be responsible for paying the assessment?"
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 19, 2014
Lenny & Barbara The Harris Team answered:
Never judge a town/city by one incident whether it be a good one, or in this case, a horrific case of animal abuse. If crime is a concern, as it should be, check with the Quincy police or find one of the many online portals that discuss crime stats. Unfortunately, in this day and age, we are never truly safe wherever we are. Talk to people who live or work in the town as they are your greatest resource in judging the true character of a town.

Lenny Harris
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 7, 2014
Jose E. Perez answered:
Buying a multifamily is definitely a great idea. Typically you will need a minimum of 3.5% down payment. You will still be consider a first time home buyer and the rental income will help you qualify for higher price house. If you looking to buy in a few years it never hurts to start window shopping or attempt to get pre approve to focus on the direction you need to take to get the home you desire.
Feel free to search
Regards and good luck.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jan 23, 2014
Christine Smith answered:
You should have verified that the tenants were out before closing and this should have been a contingency in your purchase and sale agreement. I assume you had a buyers agent and an attorney when you purchased? They should have made sure this was taken care of so go back to them and ask why it wasn't and ask how they can assist you now.

If you did not have representation and this was not spelled out in the purchase and sale agreement, you will now have to evict them if you want them out. Contact an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant work to help with the process.

This is one of many reasons why it is important to have your own representation when you purchase real estate
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 6, 2013
Cara Loosen answered:
You don't even have to be near the water to be in a flood zone now...that's where all the outrage is coming from
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 18, 2013
Amanda Dumont answered:
There is only one rental complex in Marina Bay called the Metro. While they do short term rentals, there is a significant waiting list and there will not be any available units anytime soon. The only other rentals are privately owned condominiums and townhomes and they all have condominium association restrictions on short term rentals (most are a minimum of 1 year). Feel free to view all Marina Bay properties at ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
1 2 3
Search Advice
Home Buying in Quincy Zip Codes