Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Queens County : Real Estate Advice

  • All75
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying49
  • Home Selling6
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 35
Mon Aug 8, 2016
Sally Grenier answered:
Call the town or county building department and ask!
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jun 6, 2016
Kshervington asked:
we own a two family home and live on the top floor and rent the first floor. we are concerned with structural damage and want to know if it's legal. who is the first professional we should…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 6, 2015
Jackson Willis answered:
I think it would be kind of different everywhere. You should just talk to them and explain everything you are planning. That way they will know a bit better what to expect and they should be able to make a decision a bit more quickly. It would also probably help if you have talked to some professionals so that you can get a detailed plan in place to share with this board.
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Jul 5, 2015
Jc5731 asked:
my parents love the current it worth to update? or sell it and look for two family house.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 21, 2015
Marco Gomez & The Reach Team answered:
Hi Suzanne,

I would recommend Jerry Gucciardo of Atlantic Shores contractors 516-852-5552. I've recommended him to many clients and they have always been extremely pleased with his courteousness and his work.




Marco Gomez | Licensed Real Estate Associate Broker


2015 LIBOR Director | 2015 President for the WQC Chapter of LIBOR
Keller Williams Landmark II

| Assistant: (917) 633-5939
| Toll Free: 888-881-2786 Ext 7
| Fax: (877) 817-9101
| Mobile: (917) 734-2012
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Apr 6, 2015
Caleb Hart answered:
I feel like it's not as simple as it seems. I imagine that there are building codes or zoning issues that you're going to have to deal with. Also, you're going to want to talk to your neighbor about the whole thing before you get started. Talk to a company about it as well and get some quotes and advice. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 3, 2015
Paige Smith answered:
I definitely know what it is like to update the original plumbing of your home. I recently had to update my bathroom. The plumbing was just too run down and not working anymore. It is important to find a licensed plumber like you had suggested. I would recommend you do your research before you hire one. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 1, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
Too many factors that need consideration, therefore contact a few local licensed contractors for free estimates...
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jul 3, 2013
khalidmahdi1 answered:
Depending on the cost of the area, the materials, i.e. fixtures could vary....if you keep it moderate, you could spend up $7,500.00 for each , remembering the all tis has to tie into sewer that serves your building or residence....get some Government Approval is also ...i.e. The City or wherever you live. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat May 4, 2013
Ruth and Perry Mistry answered:
Hi Robin

Your contractor is likely going to go with above ground sewer line that will be connected to your existing sewer line.

It will be invasive to break slab.

Talk to a General Contractor.


... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Lingtm777 asked:
We are in contract for a house in zip code 11365. Currently a one story ranch, we are expanding to 2 story 1 family home. Anyone has a good architect recommendation? Also, do we need to…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Victoria Poptean answered:
If you're doing the project yourself, contact the Building Department at 516-326-6319 with any questions you have.
In case you're hiring a contractor to do the job then the contractor can answer your questions and will also take care of all buildings permits you will need. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 21, 2012
Mike Sullivan answered:
With rearrangement of both plumbing and electrical, you would need a permit....but best to check with your building and codes enforcement of the city......a state licensed contractor should know the answer, but checking with the city would certainly build your confidence level in the contractor! ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 17, 2012
Anna M Brocco answered:
Depending on the extent of the renovation, check with management beforehand for any rules/regulations. As for costs, contact a few local licensed contractors and ask for free estimates based on your needs... ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jun 14, 2012
Anna M Brocco answered:
Check with the village's building department first, they can best advise as what can, and needs to be done, or not....
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 29, 2012
Jannis Vann answered:
A per square foot price for estimating a project is not very accurate, but contractors can establish an average based on the work they have done in the past. Of course, the grade of materials used greatly impacts the per square foot price, so make sure the contractor knows the level of quality you are expecting in order to give you an estimating figure that will be reasonable for your expectations. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Jan 22, 2012
Robert D Hughes answered:
Your concerns are understood Joseph. Always verify with proven, qualified professionals on the best way to solve your issue. better to get the correct advice now then problems later. Someone experienced in coating floors would be your best bet. Like a contractor or floor sealing specialist.

Good Afternoon,

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 5, 2012
Deborah Garvin answered:
Joseph, Thank you for the education!!! Now that I understand, I would agree with Ron's statement; however, communities vary so I would check with your local energy company.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 3, 2012
Deborah Garvin answered:
Joseph, Hey, I would save the step of going to the building department and just contact a licensed electrician. He/she is going to know the code, tell you what you need to do and give you estimates of the costs. All, of which you are going to need anyway....why spend the time at the building department trying to figure out things that may, or may not make sense to you?

My son is an electrical contractor...I just rely on his expertise. Additionally, I have done a lot of remodeling and construction in my "day" and electricial is just something I sub out and stay out of. It is far to complicated (and dangerous) for my to wrap my little brain around.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 12, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
Check with the local building's department for any necessary permits beforehand...
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice