Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Queens : Real Estate Advice

  • All2K
  • Local Info66
  • Home Buying589
  • Home Selling54
  • Market Conditions26

Activity 40
Wed Oct 11, 2017
tommy answered:
one big bedroom two small bedroom how many adult can live in there
0 votes 33 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 12, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
I'm a life long New York City area resident and a retired real estate agent. So allow me to educate you on the best way to live here. I hate to tell you but the process you are using is wrong for a number of reasons. My advice as follows:

1. New York City has excellent public transportation (subways and buses) that run 24 hrs. 7 days /week + holidays. All New York City residents use public transportation every day because it's cheap, fast and convenient. You can own a car but parking is very expensive, very restricted, the roads are not great, traffic is a nightmare and drivers are crazy. Basically, you will pay 10x more for a car in the city than you will using public transportation.

2. The suburbs outside of New York City also have excellent public transportation (buses and railroads) which run from 5:00 AM - midnight or 1:00 AM. + holidays. Most residents use buses and railroads to commute to work or school because it's fast, cheap and convenient. If you drive, traffic is a nightmare during the rush hours (7 - 9:00 AM + 5 - 7:00 PM), drivers are crazy, it's very expensive to drive to work, parking is restricted, etc.

The HUGE difference is if you live within New York City, everything is within walking distance so you do not need a car. However, if you live in the suburbs, nothing is within walking distance so a car is necessary to go food shopping, doctor appointments, restaurants, parks, etc. Typically, most rental buildings in the suburbs are located in the business section so you can walk to most things - but not everything.

3. Cost of living - I don't know anything about life in Sweden, but the cost of living in the New York City area is VERY EXPENSIVE. Expect to pay a lot for food, public transportation, electric, internet, cell phone, gas for your car, etc.

4. Housing costs - Your budget of $1500. - 2,000./month for a 1 bedroom rental apartment in Queens is very low - especially for Bayside. A 1 bedroom in that area rents for $2 - 3,000./month. Rents are very high in Bayside and similar neighborhoods because the area is very desirable (great place to live) and landlords can easily get a tenant in 5 minutes so they can charge a lot of money. You need to understand that many neighborhoods in New York City (including Queens) are not good because of crime, low income residents who are on government vouchers, etc. This leaves the few good neighborhoods where everybody wants to live, so landlords can increase rents to a high amount. Bayside / Bell Boulevard is one of these few good areas to live. If you see a very cheap rental in a good neighborhood like Bayside, I can guarantee something is wrong with it - either it's not a rental (could be for sale), the apartment building has major things wrong with it, the price is wrong, it's a scam or something else.

5. A great solution for both of you (since the wife will work in Manhattan and you will attend Stony Brook) is to live in of these towns in Nassau County (suburb outside of New York City). Start researching the following: New Hyde Park, Mineola, Garden City, Roslyn, Glen Cove, Hicksville, Franklin Square, Rockville Centre and Uniondale. All of these towns are safe, a short ride on the Long Island Railroad for your wife to get to work, desirable to live in and AFFORDABLE (much cheaper than New York City rentals), You can find a 1 or 2 bedroom rental in any of these towns for $2,000. or less.
As for driving to Stony Brook - remember you will be driving in the opposite direction that most residents are going. Everybody (including your wife) is going to Manhattan. You are not. Therefore, traffic to Stony Brook is easy (no traffic to deal with and no crazy drivers either). You can even take buses to Stony Brook - depends where you live).

6. Make sure you get a permit for Stony Brook. You cannot park on campus without a permit or sticker. Even though Stony Brook is not directly on the water, there are some nice beaches nearby - take advantage of it. The area is gorgeous. During the months of Sept., Oct., May and June - do NOT tell your wife you were at the beach while she was working in Manhattan. Trust me, she will be jealous. Just don't come home with a sunburn.

7. Landlords in the New York City area will need to verify proof of income and U.S. credit. The credit may be an issue for you. Rentals in New York City go very quickly. In the suburbs, most people do not rent.
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Fri May 19, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Your clients need to take the subway to the Bronx. In Queens, landlords will accept vouchers in Jamaica, Hollis, Saint Albans and Queens Village. In Brooklyn, try Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, Bensonhurst and East New York. In the Bronx, anywhere in the South Bronx (south of Fordham Rd.)

None of the above neighborhoods are good BUT you need to explain that landlords can legally discriminate against vouchers based on finances. If landlords can easily rent to people who can afford high rents, then they don't have to take a loss because the vouchers pay much less than the regular rents. If your clients had extra money to pay every month in addition to the vouchers, then any landlord would be happy to accept them. However, most voucher holders don't have $500. - $1,000. extra every month to pay landlords in addition to the vouchers.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 2, 2017
Christine.woods32 answered:
The pet deposit is usually in the amount of $200 - 300. However, I know that some tenants manage to negotiate this deposit and pay less than $200.
More often landlords are agree to get less money for deposit when you prove that you're responsible pet owner, and your furry friend won't cause damage to property. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 31, 2016
Z_gul786 asked:
Mon Oct 12, 2015
Taycollins42 answered:
I don't think it's necessarily illegal, but you should check with a professional to be sure. It definitely would seem like something that should at least be addressed, and hopefully if you talk to the right people, you'll be able to ensure that happens. Other than that though, I would definitely suggest trying to find a way to get them open. There isn't much of a point to a window that can't open.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Oct 2, 2015
Victory Property Management answered:
As long as the zoning laws allow it, legally it shouldn't be a problem. The question is can the unit take the additional wear and tear? Will it affect any of your existing tenants? Are they able to make the rent payments? Do they have a good rental history? ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 15, 2015
Ddbinvestorsllc answered:
No, your lease is a binding contract. If you want to bring an additional person into the unit you need to go back to your landlord and ask him if he would allow it and add that person to the lease. Otherwise you would be in breach and your landlord would have the right to evict you if he so choose. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 15, 2015
Ddbinvestorsllc answered:
You would have to check with your local code enforcement organization. Generally there are square footage requirements for the number of people and then there are usually requirements related to sex of the occupants. for example, in most cases children of the opposite sex are not allowed to share the same bedroom. I do not know California law but you should be able to call your local housing authority and they should be able to tell you. I know in NJ there was a single father with a daughter and he had to have a two bedroom unit because according to NJ rules he was not permitted to share a bedroom with his daughter, she was a toddler. I would think if this applied to the father then a mother with a son would be handled the same way. Again you have to check your local regulations. Call your county housing authority ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 15, 2015
Ddbinvestorsllc answered:
No I don't think he is right. I am a landlord in NJ. My understanding of the definition of a boarding house in NJ is that is has to have multiple units intended for short term single occupancy. My understanding of this is it has to be more like a hotel or a bed and breakfast type deal where you have multiple units where people are occupying these units for a short period of time. This is not the same as having a house with multiple bedrooms and renting that house a set group of people for 6 months or a year. Now if you have multiple and different people who are coming and going and it's not the same group of people,, (for example if this is college fraternity or sorority, then I could see the possibility of this getting into that gray area. If not, then I think he is making a mistake. My standard for renting has always been that anyone living in one of my units that is over the age of 18 must be listed on the lease and must provide all the appropriate documentation as anyone else living in the unit. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 15, 2015
Anna M Brocco answered:
Wed Jul 2, 2014
Ryan Rudnick answered:
Pre-paying is a great option, as is using a co-signer. Given the information you've given, it sounds like you'd be well qualified for most smaller buildings, even if larger, stricter management companies aren't being flexible with you.

Some landlords will be flexible with income requirements if you can prove you have 6 or 12 months rent in savings accounts, which it sounds like you have. When contacting landlords or management companies, I'd lead with your savings instead of your income and see if that works.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 19, 2014
Kentor Johnson answered:
Well its best to work with one agent in whom you feel confident that will be able to assist you. However, if you choose work with more than one broker you should disclose this information so that there are no misunderstandings.Many brokers will have fiduciary agreement statements for you to sign which document that you are working with them. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed May 7, 2014
Christian Monge answered:
Hi Latoya,
Do you declare a 1040? Depending on the landlord and your credit score, the landlord might overlook that you work off the books. Please email me so I can send you some listings.

Thank you,
Christian Monge
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue May 6, 2014
Christopher Pagli answered:
Do you mean the lease? You can limit the amount of occupants as there ar slaws in place for overcrowding.

0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat May 3, 2014
Annette Lawrence answered:
Craigs list.
notes on public bulletin boards.

However, DO NOT send money to anyone to whom you can not lead the police to their door.
You will quickly understand what I'm talking about.

Manwhile you should be writing down the telephone number of the Queens agents who may respond to your question.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 27, 2014
Spiro Vrouhas answered:
Hi Karen,
I believe your price point is realistic for the area your are searching in. While most apartments in New York include heat, hot water and gas, all utilities could be challenging to find. I recommend working with a qualified real estate agent specializing in your specific area. Good luck! - Spiro Vrouhas ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Oct 2, 2013
Nadia Santos answered:
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 13, 2013
Naquan123488 answered:
What is the grace period for New York City queens and I have no lease
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice