working downlooking for condo or townhouse in safe neighbor hood

Asked by Judy, Denver, CO Fri Dec 17, 2010

my husband just started a new job downtown, we are from the eastern plains, not used to big ciy, we are looking for apartment, condo etc for now, would like openness, parks, etc. and safe any suggestions eventually want to buy a house that can have a couple of horses but that is in the future

Answers

16
Esther Harns…, Agent, Littleton, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
HeyJude...I worked downtown for years and was from small town Cheyenne, Wyo. so I understand where you're coming from.

Please visit this site..I've recently posted additional info on safe Denver neighborhoods based on another write up. Go to the 11/28/10 blog at this site. http://114e684.activerain.com/channels/activerain/topics/nei…

Welcome to Denver! Keep us in mind when you decide to start your home hunt!
Steve Scheer, Agent, Englewood, CO
Thu Dec 23, 2010
Hi Jude, Price range is going to play a big part in where you want to narrow down. You mention that this is your condo for now, you may want try Parker - it will be a longer drive downtown, but it is closer to areas you are mentioning qualities for your house for later, and you will be able to see what you think until you are ready for that.
Chuck Strau…, Agent, Denver, CO
Sun Dec 19, 2010
I live and work in Heritage Eagle Bend, an age-restricted (45+) neighborhood in SE Aurora. It is within your 30-40 minute commute from downtown, it's gated and fits your age group requirements. All homes are ranches, and consist of three groups: single family detached, duplex attached and townhomes. The price range is from the high $100's to around $600K. There are, of course, other developments that also fit your age group requirements.
Best of luck
Chuck Strauss
Keller Williams DTC
720-318-7598
CStrauss@kw.com
Judy, Both Buyer And Seller, Denver, CO
Sun Dec 19, 2010
We are in our 50's also so would like a neighbor hood with our age group.
Brian Burke, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Leslie Monaco, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Jude,

Welcome to Denver! One of the great things about Denver is that many neighborhoods are within a 20-30 minute commute times to Downtown. I would be happy to discuss some good areas and answer questions you may have about the Metro Denver area. If you would like a copy of my relocation guide to Metro Denver, you can request one on my website: http://www.LeslieMonaco.com/live-in-metro-denver.asp. This guide has information on neighborhoods, school districts, areas, overall housing info, things to do/see in Metro Denver, etc.

Good Luck and again welcome to the Mile High City!

Leslie Heldenbrand-Monaco
The Kentwood Company
Web Reference:  http://www.LeslieMonaco.com
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Jude,

2 things. One is what you would consider 'safe' and what I or another would consider a safe area could differ considerably. Second is how much you you are qualified for to pay for the home. It could mean the difference in a few minutes commute to an hour's drive every day to work. If you are new to the city, you may not realize what stress it can be in Denver driving in rush hour traffic. It would be good to first sit down with a good, understanding, and patient Buyer's Agent to discuss all of these scenarios and then drive through some of the areas to get a feel for the neighborhoods. Statistics are one thing; but making a committment to invest and live in a certain community will take some time and personal investigation to determine what feels comfortable for you. Ultimately, there will be many wonderful communities and developments to choose from that will meet your needs. Welcome to Denver and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Robert McGuire - 303-669-1246
Keith Felix, Agent, Lakewood, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Hi, Jude! And welcome to Denver, Colorado! If your husband is working downtown, you would probably want to consider one of the neighborhoods not far from downtown such as the Washington Park or Highlands-Sloan Lake areas. I recently sold a beautiful all brick bungalow with finished basement and 2-car garage to a couple from Wisconsin just a block from Sloan Lake and they love the location as well as the home. Personally, my family and I moved here from a rural Indiana small town in 2000 and we all absolutely love it! What I have noted about Denver is that although it is a large metro/cosmopolitan city, it is a compilation of many smaller "communities" that used to be outlying small towns, later absorbed by Denver. However, many still retain their "small community" character and flavor. Also, Denver has a fantastic public parks system that includes ponds, lakes, and paved walking and bike trail systems throughout the city and suburbs. You can see some great and informative videos about Denver and amenties by going to my website: http://www.coloradobrokerllc.com. As for the "safety" concerns, we Realtors are not allowed to advise anything to clients on this matter other than for you to directly contact the local police jurisdictions in the areas that you are interested in. Sorry. If you are looking to rent initially, let me know and I will put you in contact with a terrific leasing broker whom I know personally and can highly recommend. All the best!
Keith Felix, Realtor | 303.808.9734 | kfelix-2@comcast.net
Daniel Herron, Agent, Lakewood, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Jude

There are some great town home communities in Littleton, that are very safe, and within a 30-40 minute drive of downtown. A couple communities I can think of.

Dakota Ridge Townhomes, they are right on the coal mine trail and depending on where you are at in the complex you could be right on the trail with open space.

There is a new community on Bowles just west of simms, that is also right on a trail with jeffco open space right beside the community.

What kind of price are you looking for? Are you looking for a garage or don't care? What bedrooms and bathrooms would you like?

Let me know and I can send you a list of town homes and condo's to look through that would meet your needs.

Take care,

Daniel Herron
Web Reference:  http://www.herronshomes.com
Nicci Hyatt, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Hi there. What does your husband consider a fair commute? That is the best basis for being able to determine your radius of happiness : ) You want him to feel his commute is a fair amount of time vis-a-vis you both being happy with what your surroundings are. I have some clients who work downtown and commute from Western Arvada, which is GORGEOUS but a bit longer commute; and others who feel that being on a 1/4 acre in Cherry Hills Vista is enough for them. We'd also love to know what concerns you may have re: schools, price, home size, lot size. That would help us make better recommendations to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.NicciHyatt.com
Judy, Both Buyer And Seller, Denver, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
WE are comfortable with up to 30 -40 minute drive, longer if the the drive is worth the area
Vicki Porter, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Hi Jude,
If you can tell me how long of a commute your are comfortable with, I can make some suggestions of areas. There are parks throughout the city, but I am wondering if you want to be a little farther out and away from the noise, etc.
Vicki Porter
Vicki@IdealPropertiesofDenver.com
Chuck Strau…, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
In the city, close to downtown, I would suggest Lowry or Stapleton; both have lots of parks and open space, walkable, and close in town. But neither feel like "inner city". I have and continue to do a lot of work in Lowry, and love the area (grew up very close to here!)
Best of luck in your search.
Chuck Strauss
Keller Williams DTC
720-318-7598
CStrauss@kw.com
Amber Page,…, , Denver, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
I would suggest renting something in River Front. It's a great downtown location with a huge park called Commons Park. The cross streets are 15th & Little Raven. It is a bit pricy but pretty much everywhere downtown is going to demand high rents. Sometimes it makes more since to buy a place downtown because the monthly mortgage can be pretty comparable to what you would pay in rent. Let me know if I can be of further assistance as I specialize in the Downtown Denver market. I can also point you into the direction of a couple leasing agencies downtown. Happy Holidays

Amber Page
303-995-9484
John Keene, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Jude,

Check out what is for rent in Stapleton:
http://www.npreblog.com/ForLease

Plenty of open space and 20 minutes from Downtown.

Best of luck,

John Keene
303-547-7578
Laura Schlos…, , Denver, CO
Fri Dec 17, 2010
Hi Jude,

Depending on your price points there are so many great areas to choose from in Denver. For a condo or townhome near downtown Speer South is a good option. You can walk to Washington Park from there and are also very close to Platt Park. You'll live close enough to the city and still have a neighborhood feel. As for your future plans for a house with horse property...There are several in Wheat Ridge and Lakewood in the $200K range that are zoned for horses. These areas are still very close to downtown by 6th Avenue.