where is the best place to live in NH that is family friendly?

Asked by Laura, Massachusetts Sun Jan 20, 2008

Answers

22
Buddy Pope’s answer
Buddy Pope, Agent, Amherst, NH
Thu Dec 6, 2012
Laura,

I have lived in NH my whole life and would be happy to assist you in the Monadnock Region of NH which is one area that I cover extensively. I grew up in Nashua and then moved to Amherst and have lived since college in the Monadnock regionof NH minus a 3 year stint on Chebeague islandin Maine.
can you tell me a towm that will be in between portsmouth and nashua
thanks
Flag Tue Oct 7, 2014
Charlotte Ma…, Agent, Nashua, NH
Thu Jan 29, 2015
Hi Laura, NH is a wonderful place to live! Lakes, mountains, oceans what more could you want. Now interview experienced agents that will listen to your wants and needs. Also, check the agents out on zillow and trulia and read their testimonials. Let me know if I can help.
Charlotte Ma…, Agent, Nashua, NH
Thu Jan 29, 2015
I suggest you read the testimonials on zillow and trulia and interview agents to help you. With the right agent you will not be disappointed.
Janisanddoud, Home Buyer, Nashua, NH
Thu Jan 15, 2015
My husband and two kids want to find a small family oriented safe town with a little land to have some animals on please help thanks
Craig Chemaly, Agent, Carlisle, MA
Thu Jul 31, 2014
I know this is an old question, but there are many recent responses, including people who seem to have the same questions as the original poster, so I will answer in a similar way to some of the other people. There is no way to answer a question like "where is the best place?" without more info.

The best place for you may not be the best place for someone else. Do you like city or rural? How old are your children? Do you want a large yard to maintain? Will your kids be in private school? Those are just a few of the questions.

In response to someone who said "we all hate realtors", on average, realtors get their clients 18% more for their home than selling it themselves, and agents get buyers an average of 6% off the asking price, or about 12% better than they get on their own. Sure, there are bad agents. Maybe even a LOT of bad agents. But there are also a lot of bad accountants, restaurant servers, and bricklayers. There are bad apples in every profession, but I resent being labeled as untrustworthy by someone who has never even met me. I am certain my clients would disagree with that assessment.
mattvranich, Home Buyer,
Thu Apr 24, 2014
To the realtor telling people that things are illegal - screw you. We all hate realtors. Just answer the question.
Murphy Team, Agent, Portland, ME
Thu Apr 24, 2014
Mount Washington Valley is extremely family friendly with skiing, hiking, swimming, mountain biking. The mountains have youth programs. I would choose North Conway, Conway, Jackson, Bartlett.
George Rauh, Agent, Bedford, NH
Mon Apr 14, 2014
I see this response is a bit late, still, I want to blow my horn on Nashua. In the mist of the recession, I had to drive school buses for the city. Nashua has a very extensive after school and summer school program.

With the bussing: Bus picks up kids, takes kids to school. School ends, kids are either bussed back to home or to an after school program. In some cases, after that, the kids are then bussed home. Other wise parents come and gather kids.

Summer school, amazing, more places than imaginable. And the bus company hauls them all over the state.

Nashua has been picked twice in past 20 something years as the place to live and work. If you pick a place, other than Nashua, any place in the triangle of Nashua, Portsmouth, and Manchester.

Nashua has a vho-cational center in the school, take nursing programs, take automotive, high tech. Want to get into farming? You can go take agricultural classes in Hudson. Both towns allow their students to go between school systems like this. I am amazed!
,,,with the jobs, a little tighter than past, but, you can still commute to Mass with relative ease, there is BAE Systems, and many other high tech firms.
Flag Mon Apr 14, 2014
Jimdes108, Home Buyer, Parlin, NJ
Tue Jul 23, 2013
I might have a job opportunity in Lawrence, mass... But was wondering about moving to NH ...We have 2 girls 5 and 2, looking for a nice small town thats good for kids.... any help?

i live in Staten Island, NY now...
bmalota, Home Buyer, Nashua, NH
Wed Apr 24, 2013
My husband and I are thinking of moving to NH from CT; our daughter will be starting University of New Hampshire in the fall so I do not need to worry about school systems. We would be looking in Southern NH. We are looking for a smaller town, not a city. We are both looking for jobs up there so I guess it would depend on where we got a job. Any ideas on some nicer small towns in southern NH?
Thanks, Barb
Barb, there are lots of great smaller towns in southern NH. It all depends on what you are looking for in a town. Somewhere more rural, with lots of great outdoor activities, or someplace closer to a suburb perhaps, a short commute to a larger city. Maybe someplace with lots of community activities. I would be happy to talk with you sometime about your various options and try and help whittle it down based on your needs.
Flag Mon May 6, 2013
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Oct 29, 2012
Laura it is actually against federal law for any agent to recomend one area, town, city or neighborhood. NH is a great place to live with no sales tax, no income tax and great schools. There are many areas each with pros that would fit being family friendly. It will depend on if you are looking for city living, suburban living or rural living. It will depend if you want to be close to highways, schools, shopping and work. If you want a neighborhood setting, parks, playgrounds and other kids or want to be rural and secluded. Next will depend if you want a new home, old home, small home or big home and lastly of course your price range. I can certainly give you infomration on many different areas for you to choose what is best for your family, what meets your wants and wishes or to narrow down what you may not want. Simply email or call me and I can easily send you listing sheets to get started. I can introduce you to areas, offer you pros and cons and answer your questions.
Scott, First of all, this question was asked almost 5 years ago, so if Laura is still looking she may have new "needs" by now, secondly if you are referring to steering people, I don' think the federal laws focus on steering state by state or even town by town. I think those laws are way more specific and refer to "a street near a church", or a neighborhood where more minorities are presently residing. There is really no limit to bragging about any area, which is why Chicago is called the windy city. But wisdom would dictate not directing people until they ask specific questions and request direction.
Flag Mon Oct 29, 2012
4jbarbier, Home Buyer, Northport, NY
Mon Oct 29, 2012
Hello, My husband and I are seriously considering a move to New Hampshire. We recently stayed in Merrimack, a small, mostly residential town in between Nashua and Manchester. Seems like a great location...an hour away from the ocean, the mountains and Boston. Lots of parks to hike in right in Merrimack. Most important to us, however, is the school district/family friendly atmosphere/safety of the town as we have two young kids.

We talked to a lot of people living in the town with kids and have yet to hear a negative comment about Merrimack.

Is there a down side at all to Merrimack? Seems to good to be true that the first place we visited is that perfect. Any other suggestions of towns to visit would be greatly appreciated!

Also, we definitely want to live in Southern New Hampshire to maintain a reasonable commute to our extended family living on Long Island.

Thank you!!! :)

Jenn
Mary B., Home Buyer, 03301
Thu Jun 19, 2008
Hello all of these posts truly reflect the uniqeness of towns mentioned , it all depends on what elements are important to you. Holderness is lovely nice community feel easy access to rte 93, residents have use of private gorgeous beach on Big Squam Lake, low tax rate of 12.22, Veterans (eligibility ) Tax Credit of $500 off your real estate tax bill, One of the best Elementary Schools Holderness Central School pre-school to 8th grade, Great High School in Plymouth, also may local students go to the Holderness Private School for High School, Plymouth State University has a new president who is doing a good job of providing programs to local residents and of course like all of the wonderful communities in NH ...lovely 4 season enjoyment good luck
Dane Hahn, , 34223
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Hi Laura,
What is important to you?
What makes a place "the best"?
You tell me and then I'll suggest a few places in NH.

Most magazine editors use a generic list of criteria. They may include cost of living, tax burden, quality of schools, employment opportunities and income levels, higher education opportunities, proximity of hospitals and medical care, public school results and the like.

But not all of these criteria are important to all people. Let me know what's important to you, and I will make a few suggestions.

Dane Hahn
Web Reference:  http://www.daneandsandra.com
Judy-maureen, Home Buyer, 03244
Mon Jun 9, 2008
Hillsoboro, nh is a hidden gem! two ski slopes near town. Small town feel awesome down to earth people and a mountain view in every direction.
., , Amherst, NH
Thu May 15, 2008
Real Estate agents are not supposed to "steer." If you want to know all about where I live I would be happy to tell you that. I moved once...all the way across town. Call me at (603) 562-5186 or visit my site.
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Wed May 7, 2008
NH is great in general. Overall, assuming you want to be relatively close to Mass and Boston- and not entirely in the middle of "nowhere", I would keep it in the southeast part of the state. We live in the Exeter area, and its great. I also agree with Hannah that the Durham/ Lee area is great. If you like the college town environment, downtown Dover is kind of nice- but its not too crazy like some college areas.
Ken
Hannah, Both Buyer And Seller, 21401
Mon May 5, 2008
I would Have to say the Oyster River school district(towns Lee, Durham and Madbury) is probably best suited for family living. Durham is a small college town and has many cute shops. The towns of Lee and Madbury have lower taxes and larger lots(most no less than 2 acres). The Oyster river school distrist is also one of the heighest ranked for academics in the state. I have friends that live in Madbury who absolutely love it. They primarily moved there so that their children could go to public school. Durham is also close to the cities of portsmouth and Manchester so you are not in the middle of nowhere. Check out my education link for the town of Durham.
Web Reference:  http://www.ci.durham.nh.us/
Bob Holder, , Nashua, NH
Fri May 2, 2008
If by family friendly, you mean good school systems, large sized lots and active community my vote goes to Hollis/Brookline. Of course I am biased as I live in Brookline.
Michael Iarr…, , 03110
Tue Apr 29, 2008
Well since I live in Bedford, NH I suppose I am a little biased, but then I moved to Bedford because I felt it was a great town to raise my kids. We have an excellent school system and a very active sport community, plus it's close to Manchester with access to some culture. Londonderry is another very popular town in this area, again because of the great school system.
Web Reference:  http://www.bedfordnh.org
Tue Apr 29, 2008
Deering NH is a picturesque slice of New Hampshire. There is a charming town hall and a lot of involved community members that are constantly running events to enrich childrens lives. Not to mention a pristine lake and a lovely golf course and 2 ski mountains miles down the road.....
Dane Hahn, Agent, Englewood, CO
Sun Jan 20, 2008
Hi Laura,
This question--the best place to live in NH--is going to get you lots of different answers.
I'm sure you'll agree that every family sees appeal and value in different things. Some people want proximity to shopping, some to excellent schools, some to Dr's and hospitals, some to ski areas, some to airports, some to low taxes, some want horses--you get my drift.
Nashua keeps winning the most livable location in the Country, but it's not where I live. It wins because there are affordable homes, access to colleges, medical services, and so on. But it's still a city.
I'll bet you have some topics that might be called your "hot buttons". If you would share them with me, I will give you my opinions. Lots of people who move to the Seacoast of NH want access to Boston (for work or culture) they want good schools, they want affordable homes, they want shopping and maybe lake, bay or ocean access.

Those are usual requests. Anther request I have had lately is 1-2 acres abutting town or conservation lands, so there is a feeling of large space without the taxes usually associated with a larger parcel.
Again, if you want to share your needs and wishes, I'll give you some areas that should be appealing.

Regards, DAne Hahn 603-566-5460