what are my options if I rented a home full of mold which was not disclosed before rentl?

Asked by Dr.ruth Cohn, 60025 Thu Oct 23, 2008

The owners of the house still deny the condition even though they did a partial remediation after an inspection.The house was vacant for over a year after the first storm where they partially fixed it When the rains came again again in August2008,,part of thr roof caved into the garage. The house on 913 Tamer Lane, glenview IL is uninhabitable. Glenview Illinois says they don't handle mold and can't help me. In Wheeling IL thhere id a renters code that protects the lessee & lessor. I no longer have access to the home,

Answers

2
Wayne Beals, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Oct 23, 2008
Check with an attorney.

I would imagine that habitability is part of any municipal residential rental ordinance.
Brandon Schu…, Agent, Western Springs, IL
Thu Oct 23, 2008
As much as I would love to give you my opinion, this just sounds a little to legal for me.

I will tell you though that the owner has a duty to disclose any issues like that "if they're aware of it".

You may want to consult an attorney on this or maybe someone else will come on here and write a novel on their opinion.