Antonio John…, Other/Just Looking in Loch Raven, Baltimore,...

thinking of moving to Irvington, NJ and Commuting to manhattan for work what is the neighborhood like and is it safe and affordable?

Asked by Antonio Johnson, Loch Raven, Baltimore, MD Wed Jul 20, 2011

I was thinking of moving to new jersey and commuting to NYC for work. the irvington area highely interested me because it looks suburban and the single and multi family houses look cheaper than the ones in nyc is Irvington a good community to raise kids, is it a safe place to raise a family, what are the schools like? and is this a good community for first time homeowners?

Answers

6
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Wed Jul 20, 2011
Hello Antonio,
Here is a link to city data about Irvington where you might find some helpful information about the area including crime and real estate statistics:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Irvington-New-Jersey.html

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Ylittlejohn.…, Home Buyer, Irvington, NJ
Sat Sep 24, 2016
I have been living in "Upper Irvington" yes Upper Irvington for over 25 years and it is not blending into the city as one of our viewers have mentioned. If you don't live here don't offer any views. It have been very quite in my neighborhood, never had any major problems and also raised my son here. Surprisingly, not what people want to expect because it's close to a big city Newark, which is becoming more advanced in its later days. Other towns are good, such as Bloomfield, West Orange, South Orange. These are other areas close to NYC. We also have a new mayor who is very assessable to the people and yes the old mayor was horrible, but the new major is awesome! He walks the streets in the neighborhood to receive and answer any complaints.
Rahzhak Mizh…, Other Pro, Bloomfield, NJ
Sat Nov 10, 2012
After Sandy..Residents had no heat/electricity for over 7 days; while the mayor was M.I.A.; on most streets. Resolve, if you want to know about a city/town, examine the elected officials work ethics.
Further resolve, if the elected officials are not pro-active or if they do not communicate with their voters, one would have to question safety. With that in mind, i must say Irvington, NJ is affordable.
diceshiny, Home Buyer, Roselle, NJ
Fri May 18, 2012
No the area is not the safest. Its not the worst but close to it. Hard to travel at night.
Urbanhousesi…, Both Buyer And Seller, 07104
Sat Sep 3, 2011
As with any neighborhood it is always good to look up statistics regarding a town. I am familiar with Irvington and I must say the lines between Irvington and 'Upper Irvington' are beginning to blend together. The crime is slowly bleeding through the entire town and they have even issued pleas on their recycling calendar for people to pitch in, in the community before the town becomes gentrified. There is a big ratio of renters vs owners living in the town as well. Please do your research and proceed at your own personal level of safety.
Investor X, , Gilbert, AZ
Wed Jul 20, 2011
Irvington??? No way don’t do it. Bad news area. It’s right next to Newark. I use to drive through there all the time on job sites. Irvington has to be one of the worst in NJ.

Investor Mike
Yes please stop bashing our town! If you don't live here don't offer any suggestions. I've been living here over 25 years and it's not that bad.
Flag Sat Sep 24, 2016
Yes it's not that bad. Been living here over 25 years....yes, stop bashing our town! If you don't live here don't offer any views please.
Flag Sat Sep 24, 2016
ITS NICE AND SAFE TRUST ME. LONG NIGHT WALKS ARE THE BEST. VERY PEACE FULL. THE BEST PLACE IN THE NJ. WEAR ALOT OF BLUE OUT THERE. THEY LOVE IT. GREAT GREAT GREAT. NOT BAD AT ALL. I LIVE HEAR ITS TOTALY RAD
Flag Sun Jan 25, 2015
It's not that bad...we have problems not worst than newark...everywhere has crime so please stop bashing our town
Flag Sat Aug 10, 2013