Question removed

Asked by Patti Fleming, Desert Hot Springs, CA Wed Apr 9, 2008

This question was removed by its author.


Lance Holtman, , 80138
Thu Apr 10, 2008
In CA, the Implied Warranty of Habitability does not apply to amenities such as an air conditioner. Amenities, the responsibility for, should be covered in the lease or rental agreement.

CA does not have a statewide rent control Law but it is possible you have a local one. Check with your City Attorney’s office or a local attorney.
0 votes
Harold Watts, , Palm Springs, CA
Thu Apr 10, 2008

You as a tenant have certain rights, as the landlord is responsible in providing you safe housing under the implied warranty of habitality. Check out this section of the California Dept. of Consumer Affairs about your rights as a tenant: Copy & paste in your browser.

In regards to the rent increase, 42% in one year seems excessive. Did your landlord give you written notice of the rent increase? Usually the landlord will need to give a tenant 60 days written notice of a rent increase. Another resource you might want to check into regarding your situation is the Fair Housing Council of Riverside County: Copy & paste this link into your browser:

You really need to speak to someone who has the knowledge & legal expertise to be able to assist you in this matter. I hope these resources help you.
0 votes
Dot Chance, Agent, Burbank, CA
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Hi, Patti:

You may want to check out landlord/tenant rights by entering that phrase into a search engine such as Google. Do you know if you are in a rent control district?

If you don't find what you are looking for there you should consult a real estate attorney.

Best of luck to you
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more