my mom passed away and out pf 3 sisters my mom and stepfather decided to leave it to me my stepfather is

Asked by Laurie, Los Angeles, CA Sun Jan 13, 2008

still alive and we need to know waht to do. they also have a county loan out on the house nad i dont know about that either . please help if u can.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


David Hitt’s answer
David Hitt, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Sun Jan 13, 2008
You should first speak to a Probate attorney and CPA for proper legal and tax advice. You did not specify if there is a trust, will or any governing document that stated what your mother's wishes were. If it is in a trust then you should also speak to the trust attorney that created the trust for appropriate counsel.
2 votes
The Sanborn…, , Los Angeles, CA
Mon Mar 17, 2008
I am sorry to hear about your loss.
It's very important that you contact an attorney that specializes in this situation. An attorney that works in Trust and Estates should be able to help you.
Please call us or email us if you need a list of referrals of attorneys.

Allison Sanborn
The Sanborn Team - Prudential California Realty
visit our blog at
Web Reference:
0 votes
Ray Chen & C…, Agent, City of Industry, CA
Tue Mar 11, 2008
Hi Laurie,

You should consult a tax accountant and tax lawyer that specializes in real estate. you don't want to put the property in a land trust or limited partnership naming you and your step dad as the beneficiary of the trust/partnership. you dont want to be in the situation in which you are the inheriting the property, it just too costly and time consuming. you want to be the co-beneficiary with your step dad.
0 votes
Annie Nguyen, Agent, Fremont, CA
Tue Mar 11, 2008
Hi Laurie,

MY deepest sympathy to you and your family. I lost my mom too so I know how deep the pain is. You need to consult with a lawyer and he will lead you through the process so you can avoid any complications later if you decide to sell the property once your step dad pass away When your mom decided to leave the house for you did she sign any living trust and appoint you as the trustee? If she did then you should consult the lawyer who prepared the living trust or will . You might need to have a trust account ready set up if you plan to sell the house because the lender might want to know if you have it, so does the title company.
0 votes
Dot Chance, Agent, Burbank, CA
Sat Jan 26, 2008
Laurie, I lost my mother in April and know how devastating losing your mom is. David had some excellent advice for you. You definitely need to consult a probate attorney. Did your mother leave a will? Is your stepdad a co-owner of the property? Will he have a life estate in the property?

I can have my title company pull a report for you (no charge to you) so you can see what documents have been recorded in connection with your property.

In my case, my mother had her home in a trust and we do not need court confirmation to sell it. She left the trust for us and everything is spelled out in the trust.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Tisza Major-…, Agent, Upland, CA
Sun Jan 13, 2008
Hi Laurie,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I would be happy to get the information that you need about the home including outstanding leins, loans and other factors that affect the property.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can privately discuss your situation. I look forward to being of service. You are welcome to email me through my website referenced below or on the telephone at (213) 392-4084 or (909) 837-8922.

Take care,

Tisza Major-Posner, Realtor, Keller Wiliams
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more