is there a water bill leanable in reading, pennslvania?

Asked by Mikeeg, 19604 Wed Sep 2, 2009

I am purchasing a house as an investment and planning to rent it using section 8. I read about the problem about some states where if a tenant doesn't pay the water bill, it will go under the landlord's lean and it becomes the landlord's problem. So I'd like to know if in Reading, PA the water bill is leanable. If it is, what's the best approach with this just in case I end up with delinquent tenants? One more thing, is there any other bill that's leanable in the same area? Thanks!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kem Bailey S…, , Philadelphia, PA
Thu Sep 3, 2009
Yes it is leanable. As an investor that has section 8 tenants, this is my advice to you. Leave the water in your name and let the bill come to you. You can then give a copy to the tenets to pay- or you can give them a copy and ask them to include it in the rent. You have to know what is going on with this bill at all times because you do not want to invite a lean situation

Kem Bailey Smith
Keller Williams Main Line Realty
0 votes
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Thu Sep 3, 2009
Hello Mike:

For the most part, all utilities have lien rights in most states. This means that the electricity company, the water company, the trash collection service may all file liens against the property should the bills become delinquent and unpaid. If you have any fears that the tenant may not pay the utility bills, talk with the Section 8 Administrator (usually the local county housing authority) and find out what remedies are available to the homeowner in the event that the Section 8 tenat does not pay the bills.

At least here in our county, we have such a low number of homeowners willing to make their homes available to Section 8 tenants that the county virtually guarantees that any tenant placed into a landlord's home will not violate the rules regarding payment of bills to the utility services. Talk to your County Housing Authority to determine if a similar requirement exists for tenants in the Section 8 program in your area.

Good luck!!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more