if my apartment have a water pipeline problem is it ok to move out?

Asked by Rockmania4, 23606 Sat Oct 16, 2010

well my apartment right now has a problem. the hot water lines are broken due to a weak pipe, and the plan was to change all the pipes but they will have to break the floors and walls to gain access to the pipe lines. I am in need of a good place to stay and a safe environment for my son and Im afraid this pad wont be able to give it like it did before. so my question is: is it ok to move out regardless of the high water bill that we have now.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ronald and M…, , Newport News County, VA
Wed Oct 20, 2010
Rental agreements are very specific as to what you can do in certain situations. Ensure you read it in detail and ask questions, because the worst thing you can do is assume.

Good Luck,
Ronald Rivera
Hampton Roads Team @ William E. Wood & Assoc.
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Oct 16, 2010

If you are seeking a reason to break your lease agreement, it would be advisable to consult an attorney prior to making and decision. People often regret assuming they have the ability to do certain things....be sure you are on solid ground before doing anything.

0 votes
Ritu Desai, Agent, Chantilly, VA
Sat Oct 16, 2010
Are you living in an apartment building? If so speak to the leasing manager. Some will provide a compensation or a temporary housing till the issue is resolved. Also if you have Renter's insurance you may want to bring up to them about this issue. Some policy covers temporary accommodation if there situation beyond your control.

If you are no in the apartment building with professional management company (managed directly by the landlord) ask him in writing about breaking the lease. Anything and everything in Real Estate should be done in writing to avoid any future problems.

Good Luck!
Ritu Desai
Associate Broker
EcoBroker, ABR, ePRO
Residential Top Producer
Multi-Million Dollar Sales Club Member
Samson Properties
Cell - 703-625-4949
Email - info@eNOVAHomes.com
Web: http://www.eNOVAHOMES.com
Web Reference:  http://www.eNOVAhomes.com
0 votes
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sat Oct 16, 2010
Agree with prior poster - I would add that it sounds like the work that needs to be done may put you out or introduced hazards/risks you are not comfortable with - if that is true, talk to your landlord about being released from your lease before work begins - always better to try to resolve than just walking - you both are bound by the lease - which is a contract.

And as with any legal document, consulting with an attorney is a very good idea.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
0 votes
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Sat Oct 16, 2010
Well, you always have the right to choose another home. If you're asking if you can get out of your lease, I suggest you read it. The answer is probably in there. The next step is to talk to your landlord and come to an agreement. If all else fails you can seek legal counsel.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more