S108c, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

how safe is the ruggles t stop?

Asked by S108c, Houston, TX Tue May 5, 2009

Monir Mamoun’s answer
Hi S108c, you should really check with the local police and sheriffs departments for this data. They will have the most accurate information. A realtor can't really give you a fully "legal" opinion on this issue for a variety of reasons related to real estate laws and professional liability.
Dear S,

Most brokers avoid these questions like the plague.
I think they get this fear of being accused of what is called in the industry as steering. Thats when you broker will only show a property located in an area that is predominately of that same group.

Your question deals with the Ruggles T stop, and is not a housing question.

To answer your question honestly without getting into the profiling.

No, the ruggles t stop is not safe.

I personally would find a more advantageous T stop to commute through. The MBTA has its very own police force and they would be more than happy to share the safety statistics of the stations in the system with you.

I just took a look for myself and in 2008 Ruggles had 5 Assaults, 10 Larceny reports, and 20 Robberies for a grand total of 35 incidents. Now compare that to Broadway station in South Boston not 2 miles away in 2008 they had 1 Larceny, and 1 Robbery for a total of 2 incidents. I posted the website for you and you can look at every stop on the entire transit system.

Thats how we treat our clients, oh if you are thinking of buying a property we will give you 50% of our commission back.

It kind of amazes me that agents will not answer a direct question.
Web Reference: http://transitpolice.us/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 21, 2009
As someone who ISN'T a realtor, and who lives near and walks to- and -from Ruggles every day, I have two answers for you: (1) if you are one of the people who has never seen a city before, I am sure that you will find Ruggles "dangerous". (2) I'd describe Ruggles as perfectly safe with normal carefulness (as someone who moved here from DC and Philly, before that).

It has made me sick when people have described my neighborhood as "colorful," or have acted surprised that I live so near Bromley Heath. This neighborhood is fine. I believe (with the significant exception of sexual assault, which I am not downplaying), that JP 02130 has less crime than the other places I've lived. I feel safe, my wife feels safe, and our friends feel safe coming to visit us-- we wouldn't live here if we didn't.

Worst thing that's happened to us (AFAIK, and knock-on-wood)-- some kids asked us tauntingly if we had bought a condo. ...and litter. It's OK.
Flag Mon Aug 27, 2012
Most Realtors will feel very uncomfortable answering that question. It's relative to your personal experience. However, I do have many clients, most of which whom work at the Longwood Medical Center who regularly get off the train there and catch the shuttle to work...