how is the warm springs area? Does the Alviso smell reach there and how bad?

Asked by Fremont Area, Fremont, CA Wed Sep 26, 2007

Answers

14
Ipecpj, Home Buyer, Warm Springs, Fremont, CA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
I work on Warm Springs Blvd between Tonopah and Mayten Way (Just above Scott Creek)
Let me tell you, the smell is getting worse. The real estate agent is either lying or he doesn't come here.
The smell isn't there every day, but it is occurring more frequently. As I'm writing this, I'm considering leaving ealry because the smell is so bad, it's entering the office building. I'm going to ask our company owner to consider moving our office.
I most definitely will NOT be looking at properties in this area!
corymoto, , Fremont, CA
Mon Jan 7, 2013
The smell that I smell is the one that comes from the evaporation of the marsh area. It's very sour, like a dirty diaper, and happens about 2 to 3 times per week, especially after a rainy day. I've driven by the dump and that smells too (of course), but it's not that same "Fremont" smell that I detect all the way up to Mowry. As for any real estate people, of course they don't smell anything, that would effect their livelihood.
Gg, , Fremont, CA
Thu Jan 19, 2012
Hi, addition to the smell i have been told by an inspector that warm springs homes are built on clay soil?
The warm springs run under this neighborhood from the hills behind 680.
and lost of crawl spaces are always damp and also hold water at times.

Also the fault line is along 680 including landslide area.
Jorge, Home Seller, Warm Springs, Fremont, CA
Wed Jan 27, 2010
I have lived in Warm Springs for over 20 years and have not had any issues with smell.
Fremont Area, Home Buyer, Fremont, CA
Tue Oct 27, 2009
I actually bought my home in warm springs after first posting this question 2 years ago.
I live on the north part (mission and warm springs). It is Not present there. You can use
the backyard without apprehension.
It may be more as you go down toward dixon landing road and further south into milpitas.
But as very little to none as you move up. It won't be factor to consider or worry about as you cross
scott creek.
steve.88, , Milpitas, CA
Mon Oct 26, 2009
Dixon landing is an active landfill. It smells awfull from Kato rd at Warm Spring Blvd. There's another odor source nearby, Zanker sewage treatment plan (north of freeway 237), which has a different smell (more pungent). You can even taste it from Cisco in a windy day.
Ws Homeowner, Other Pro, Sunol, CA
Sat Mar 28, 2009
Yes there is a smell. I live around Warm Springs and Gable Drive and 3 to 4 times per year it is really noticable. I would not say 'bad' but definately smell it and hard to ignore. It does not last more than one day. If you go to Mcarthy Ranch you can almost smell it every day. That might explain why some have never smelled it, but it is here.

I don't think it would be a disclosure item, but if it got worse, it might be a concern. If you live closer to Milpitas that might be a different story.
Fremontguy, Home Buyer, Fremont, CA
Wed Mar 25, 2009
Nobody seems to know anything here. The smell around Dixon Landing is not from Alviso, it is from the Milpitas dumb site at Dixon Landing and 880.

I live in the North Warm Springs area (Mission Blvd @ Warm Springs) and I do not notice any smell. However, I do notice the smell while in Milpitas (Dixon Landing area) and a little bit in South Warm Springs (Scott Creek / Kato / KB Home) area.
Menudo Bongo, Home Buyer, 94085
Tue Mar 24, 2009
The smell definitely is there, and sometimes very strong, in the Kato Rd developments (KB Homes and Rosewood Summerhill Homes area)
Steve, , Fremont, CA
Tue Mar 24, 2009
I drive on 880 often, the smell is south of Dixon Landing exit sometimes. You don't smell it north of Dixon Landing. I don't know how further in the smell goes towards Milpitas though. But it's not always there but if you live in the area you'll not like it when it smells.
Peter, Both Buyer And Seller, California
Sat Jul 26, 2008
I have not heard of any smell issues in Warm springs. But some folks do complain about highway noise in some areas, if thats something that bothers you. But is there any locality in bay area which has everything.
Homes in Alviso don't get any smell. There is a misconception because travelling on 237 you get smell. Wind blows from bay, over Alviso homes, past the dump/ sewage and then over to 237 and past Milpitas. As you can see even in maps the Alviso homes are upstream to the dump/ sewage and so there is no stench. Milpitas is downstream to the dump/ sewage so you are bound to get smell. Dixon Landing road is downstream to the dump so there is bound to be smell. Likewise Warm Springs is downstream but as distance increases the smell keeps decreasing and less frequently felt. Study the wind pattern maps from US government sources and it will become logically very clear where your home is relative to dump and wind patterns what will be level of smell.
Flag Sat Jan 28, 2017
Ken Vasan, Agent, Fremonet, CA
Tue Jan 22, 2008
Dear Home Buyer :

I am a broker with Prudential in Warm Springs. I have not heard about the smell you are asking about from any of my clients. I drive in that neighborhood at various times of the day and I have never felt it myself.

With regard to market conditions, Warm Springs is highly sort after due to intrinsic value associated with great schools next to Mission in Fremont and easy commute to 237 corridor. Great place to buy and send me a mail should you have any questions.
Realtor, ,
Sat Dec 29, 2007
I have never heard a complaint about Alviso smell from my Milpitas or Fremont clients.
#1, , San Francisco Bay Area
Wed Sep 26, 2007
Warm Springs is a nice area. I have several clients living there. I owned a home ther for 4 years and never realized any noticable smell.

Alviso is on the southern end of the bay. Before you get to Alviso there is an old landfill that is now being developed. It could be you heard something about that but I have not had any complaints about odors in Warm Springs.